Employment and careers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can’t work at the moment due to chronic pain

avakarlssonavakarlsson Member Posts: 332 Courageous
Hi I am in chronic pain and finally now I have see a hip consultant December 2019  which I am glad and I am having a procedure on the 31st of this month not long now to go under general anaesthetic. I am having an injection put into my hip joint with local anaesthetic and steroid and fingers cross that helps my pain to go, I have also got chronic neck pain but that’s due to my posture not straight. I am off work due to my chronic pain and been off since September 2019 and still off.  I’ve had meetings with my manager to discuss my health and in December 2019 I had a occupational health assement on the phone and when I saw my manager Friday just gone we went through it and need another occupational health phone call assessment.  When I next see my manager we are going through the occupational health report and how the procedure went, then I will either have my job, or I will be dismissed on ill health grounds. 

Replies

• CressidaCressida Member Posts: 770 Pioneering
    @avakarlsson good luck with the injection. Steroid injections can really help. I've had several over the years in various joints and they do ease the pain. Hopefully it will enable you to stay working.
  • avakarlssonavakarlsson Member Posts: 332 Courageous
    I had an injection about 3 years ago in the Tensor fasciae latae muscle, but with this injection it’s going in the hip joint in the bone, the other one was in muscle, that’s why I have to have general anaesthetic for this injection on the 31st
    What benefits and other things do you think I am entitled to? 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    What benefits and other things do you think I am entitled to? 

I have helped you with the question quite a few times and there's no other advice anyone can possibly give you. You are already claiming everything you're entitled to, your work capability assessment form has been returned and now you need to wait for the decision on that claim but a face to face assessment is most likely.

Good luck with the injection and i hope it helps your pain.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Hopefully I will have the assessment soon do you think by next week or the week after I will have the assessment? 
    I appreciate you Poppy for giving me advice about the benefits. 
    No problem. There's no timescales unfortunately. Some wait a couple of weeks but others wait several months, it really depends on backlog but it may not be as early as next week.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Yes it depends on how busy DWP and the appointment place too, shall I ring them to see if they have got my questionnaire and ask how long it’s going to take? If I did get the LCWRA group, would you get that at the same time as your normal benefit pay day Or is that paid on a different day? 
    You can ring anytime. As you're claiming UC then this is paid monthly as one payment.
    I will ring them in a bit and see if they have got my questionnaire and to see how long it’s going to take, as yet I haven’t received any universal credit payments as I am getting statutory sick pay but with this form it might change it and hopefully I do get it.
    Thinking about it, i believe you have only very recently returned the form (end of last week) it's a little soon to ring them yet. My advice it to wait a few weeks and then ring them because if the form was returned to DWP then they most likely haven't received it yet.

I received it on Wednesday morning filled it out then sent it back on Thursday. 
    I just wanted to phone DWP universal credit to see if they have got it and ask how long it’s going to take.

is it worth phoning pip about my condition as I got daily living but I only got 4 points for mobility is it worth phoning? 
    What is disability premium? As they said when I was looking if your on universal credit, esa and one other one but I can’t remember what it was
    The disability premiums are not payable when claiming Universal credit and new style ESA. They are only available on the old benefits and you are unable to claim any of those. You are claiming everything you’re entitled at the moment as I keep advising. 

Reporting a change of circumstances to DWP for your PIP will mean more forms being sent and another face to face assessment. You could lose everything you already have. Before reporting those changes you will need to get some face to face advice from an agency near you. 
    Ok thank you for the information 

yes that’s true I could lose it if I did do that.
    I just phoned universal credit about my questionnaire and they said speak to the assessment people they haven’t got it yet, they said phone Friday, so I am hoping when I phone it will be there and I can book an appointment if needed 
    In my opinion i think you should wait a few weeks at least. The HCP will need to look at your form and any evidence you sent first so they can decide what happens next. As you only returned it at the end of last week, it could be some time yet before you hear anything.
    Oh I see, I will do that, is it the same process of how they do pip but with universal credit?
    Similar yes but with completely different criteria. The work capability assessment you're assessed on your ability to do any type of work because it's about the work you can do and not the work you can't do.

When i had my last work capability assessment, i waited just over 4 months from the time i returned the form to the decision being made. Some wait less, some wait longer.
    Oh I see, yes this one is work to see what I can do and what I can’t do, 

hopefully when I phone back on Friday as they said too they would of had my questionnaire form back and if an appointment is needed I can book it. 
    I check my journal everyday and put my sick note days on my updated and send my fit note to my local jobcentre. 
    Once an appointment date becomes available they will contact you. You seem very anxious, even though you've only just returned the form. You need to expect it to take several weeks or more for a HCP to even look at the form and any evidence you sent. I know it's difficult but try to forget about it, until you hear something from them.
    I will do Poppy and wait to hear, it’s just that I only get SSP 
    I totally understand that, i also remember that you receive daily living PIP too, which will help. Even if the decision on the work capability assessment is LCWRA you won't receive any extra money until the 4th month of your claim because a waiting period applies before you receive it.
    Yes I get my pip every 4 weeks, oh I thought you get it once you get universal credit and extra amount they add it up then the payment goes in your bank account each month. Not where it’s not done straight away and you have to wait. 
    You need to meet the criteria first to be given LCWRA, you're not just awarded it.

In some cases there's no waiting period but in your case the waiting period will apply and it's 3 months, which starts from when you sent your first fit note but it's not paid until the 4th month of your claim, if you're awarded it. The reason it's not paid until the 4th month is because UC is always paid in arrears.

If the decision takes longer than that time then you'll be back dated any money owed, providing the decision is LCWRA.

Complicated and i'm not going to confuse you anymore. Once the decision is made, if you need further advice then post back on the forum and someone will advise you.

Hopefully I won’t need to go to the assessment but I think I will need to have the assessment done. I started in October the universal credit claim. 
    I started sending fit notes in September when I send the fit notes to my local jobcentre. 
    You need to expect the assessment because most people have them. I think i've given you all the advice i can give you for now but good luck with the assessment and hopefully you won't be waiting too long.
    Thank you for the information, yes hopefully I will hear from DWP shortly 
Sign in or join us to comment.