Can’t work at the moment due to chronic pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can’t work at the moment due to chronic pain

Options
avakarlsson
avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
Hi I am in chronic pain and finally now I have see a hip consultant December 2019  which I am glad and I am having a procedure on the 31st of this month not long now to go under general anaesthetic. I am having an injection put into my hip joint with local anaesthetic and steroid and fingers cross that helps my pain to go, I have also got chronic neck pain but that’s due to my posture not straight. I am off work due to my chronic pain and been off since September 2019 and still off.  I’ve had meetings with my manager to discuss my health and in December 2019 I had a occupational health assement on the phone and when I saw my manager Friday just gone we went through it and need another occupational health phone call assessment.  When I next see my manager we are going through the occupational health report and how the procedure went, then I will either have my job, or I will be dismissed on ill health grounds. 

Comments

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    @avakarlsson good luck with the injection. Steroid injections can really help. I've had several over the years in various joints and they do ease the pain. Hopefully it will enable you to stay working.
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    I had an injection about 3 years ago in the Tensor fasciae latae muscle, but with this injection it’s going in the hip joint in the bone, the other one was in muscle, that’s why I have to have general anaesthetic for this injection on the 31st
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    What benefits and other things do you think I am entitled to? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What benefits and other things do you think I am entitled to? 

I have helped you with the question quite a few times and there's no other advice anyone can possibly give you. You are already claiming everything you're entitled to, your work capability assessment form has been returned and now you need to wait for the decision on that claim but a face to face assessment is most likely.

Good luck with the injection and i hope it helps your pain.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    Hopefully I will have the assessment soon do you think by next week or the week after I will have the assessment? 
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    I appreciate you Poppy for giving me advice about the benefits. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No problem. There's no timescales unfortunately. Some wait a couple of weeks but others wait several months, it really depends on backlog but it may not be as early as next week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    Yes it depends on how busy DWP and the appointment place too, shall I ring them to see if they have got my questionnaire and ask how long it’s going to take? If I did get the LCWRA group, would you get that at the same time as your normal benefit pay day Or is that paid on a different day? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can ring anytime. As you're claiming UC then this is paid monthly as one payment.
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    I will ring them in a bit and see if they have got my questionnaire and to see how long it’s going to take, as yet I haven’t received any universal credit payments as I am getting statutory sick pay but with this form it might change it and hopefully I do get it.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thinking about it, i believe you have only very recently returned the form (end of last week) it's a little soon to ring them yet. My advice it to wait a few weeks and then ring them because if the form was returned to DWP then they most likely haven't received it yet.

• avakarlsson
    Options
    I received it on Wednesday morning filled it out then sent it back on Thursday. 
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    I just wanted to phone DWP universal credit to see if they have got it and ask how long it’s going to take.

is it worth phoning pip about my condition as I got daily living but I only got 4 points for mobility is it worth phoning? 
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    What is disability premium? As they said when I was looking if your on universal credit, esa and one other one but I can’t remember what it was
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The disability premiums are not payable when claiming Universal credit and new style ESA. They are only available on the old benefits and you are unable to claim any of those. You are claiming everything you’re entitled at the moment as I keep advising. 

Reporting a change of circumstances to DWP for your PIP will mean more forms being sent and another face to face assessment. You could lose everything you already have. Before reporting those changes you will need to get some face to face advice from an agency near you. 
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    Ok thank you for the information 

yes that’s true I could lose it if I did do that.
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    I just phoned universal credit about my questionnaire and they said speak to the assessment people they haven’t got it yet, they said phone Friday, so I am hoping when I phone it will be there and I can book an appointment if needed 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    In my opinion i think you should wait a few weeks at least. The HCP will need to look at your form and any evidence you sent first so they can decide what happens next. As you only returned it at the end of last week, it could be some time yet before you hear anything.
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    Oh I see, I will do that, is it the same process of how they do pip but with universal credit?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Similar yes but with completely different criteria. The work capability assessment you're assessed on your ability to do any type of work because it's about the work you can do and not the work you can't do.

When i had my last work capability assessment, i waited just over 4 months from the time i returned the form to the decision being made. Some wait less, some wait longer.

Brightness