Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

need advice

mariaclare Community member Posts: 6 Listener
hi i have severe depression and anxiety and was also diagnosed with ptsd.i have a 5 yr old boy that gets dla .for microcepheley ..hypermobility  developmental delay hes got lots of appointments coming up hes also on the waiting list for an assessment for autism..and physio he has problems with balance as his feet turn inwards ..but i get carers allowance for him .i also get universal credit .i had a medical in october last year .i got a letter from them yesterday to say i do have limited capability to work but have to go to job club ..i told the gentleman back in october that i aint good around people .this has made me feel very stressed  .i dont know what to do i also told the gentleman at the medical i have had suicide attempts and self harming when i get stressed its possible i will do something stupid please can i get some advice


  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @mariaclare

    It sounds like you have a lot on your plate and being the parent of a disabled child [now a teenager] myself I know it's stressful,  particularly all the appointments.

    I'm wondering if you've got any support for yourself and/or if you've had any treatment for your depression/anxiety/PTSD - if not it would be well worth going to your GP and asking them to refer you for specialist counselling for your PTSD to start with, my guess is if you could start to tackle that then the depression and anxiety might reduce. 

    The thing is that you need to get specialist support - support from the DAS [Depression and Anxiety Service] now called Talkworks I believe - won't cut it, they'll just say you are too complex if you have PTSD anyway.  Unfortunately not all GPs are that aware of treatment options for PTSD and will just write you a never ending prescription that doesn't really do an awful lot [I suspect] in terms of helping you feel less on red alert / depressed / anxious - because remember: these things are always as a result of what's happened to you rather than because there's something wrong with you... so if your GP is just fobbing you off then ask to see a different one.

    You could also seek out support from your local CAB, they tend to be very pushed but it might be worth persevering as I suspect your benefit situation is quite complex and they should be able to help you.

    The irony is that working would probably help you on some levels but it would need to be organised so you can have the time out to take your son to appointments etc.

    I hope that helps.

    Best wishes.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,360 Disability Gamechanger

    I note that your son claims DLA, if you claim the carers element of UC for looking after him then you should be in the no work requirements group, this means that you don't have to attend any appointments. You need to check your UC payments to see if the carers element is being added, if it isn't then you'll need to report the changes on your journal and tell them that you're caring for your son for at least 35 hours per week. Once you do this they will add the carers element and your UC claimant commitment will change.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mariaclare
    mariaclare Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    hi poppy i found out today that i do get  the carers element in uc ..they have akso said today i have been awarded limited capability for 12 months but might have to go for another assessment in the future 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,154 Scope online community team
    Hi @mariaclare. How are you today?
    As Poppy mentioned, as you get the carer element of Universal Credit, you'll be in the no work group so won't have to do work-related activities. It's good you have been awarded Limited Capability for Work. 
    Community Manager
  • mariaclare
    mariaclare Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    aww thankyou adrian for your answer
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.