If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.


tracsum Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My daughter is 11 years old and receives DLA for her mental health. I am her Mother and I am also physically disabled and receive DLA. My daughters school are not understanding my daughters mental health issues and are trying to push things on her that are just making her worse to the point where I'm struggling to even get her into school due to her meltdowns and panick attacks. I don't know what to do.


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you spoke to the head teacher about your concerns? If no luck there you could also approach the school governors, I assume that at 11 years old she will be moving to high school in September where they well be better equipped to deal with her problems?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

  • tracsum
    tracsum Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi and thanks for your reply. She is already in high school. She is with SENCO also. But it is them that are pushing her to do things. I'm not sure the head teacher would listen.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Had the same problem with my daughter and we know what they are capable of if you think she's been pushed to far speak to the school my kid was just labelled as bad turns out she has autism as well as some mental health issues. So I understand your worries x
  • tracsum
    tracsum Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Is it right for them to do that though? Are they allowed? 
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    You should have your say I pushed for my daughter to get assessed as even though it was very clear to see she had major problems when she started high school nothing was done she now has a EHCP and gets the right help. Not sure if your daughter has been assessed. I would definitely take it up with the school 
  • tracsum
    tracsum Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Yes. Good idea. I mean she's been under CAHMS for a long time but was only discharged a few months ago because they said she has the support in high school now. CAHMS told me to never push her to do something she's not ready for. Which is exactly what they're doing
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hello @tracsum   Sorry to hear this.  Also CAHMS are wrong, always going to need support no matter how old your daughter is.

    I know what ever the time and place there will be times be OK and healthy but other times need additional support.

    Understand your upset and emotional.

    I am one of the community champions on the forum. Have long term mental health issues and a wealth of knowledge use to help members of our community.

    Reason why I always say use any of  these three charities.




    I do know had myself teenage years mental health had since ongoing support. Am OK bit by bit helps.

    I would use RETHINK advocates or speak to any of the links. No matter whoever they are.

    All charities offer a better services, support than CAHMS.

    Only used them once, that was enough .

    Hope that gives your daughter and you some reassurance to apply either self refer or speak to GP.

    Might not be in all areas.

    Please if you have any questions please ask me.

    Offer compassion, empathy.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,102 Scope online community team
    Hi @tracsum. I'm sorry to hear this. Have you thought about self-referring back to CAMHS, or looking at getting an advocate to help liaise with the school? My daughter's just turned 12 and has had similar experiences with school and CAMHS stated that they would be willing to liaise directly with the school and make recommendations to make sure that she was receiving the support she required. Could this be an option for you?
    Community Manager
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.