Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA Eligibility

Kieran20Kieran20 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I’m currently in full time education and turning 19 in April. A significant portion of my household income has being lost due to the sudden ending of adoption allowance. 

Is there any benefits I can claim in my own right, without it effecting child tax credit or child benefit? If it helps, I’m in receipt of PIP - so the disability premium would likely apply.


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    New claims for income related ESA are no longer possible unless you're claiming a severe disability premium in another benefit like housing benefit.

    May i also ask if you have dependent children? is this the reason why you're claiming child benefit and tax credits? or are these claimed by your parents?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kieran20, how are things at the moment? :)
    Community Partner

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.