QUICK AND EASY RECIPES FOR A COLD DAY. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

QUICK AND EASY RECIPES FOR A COLD DAY.

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello members fans and followers. Thought as it a cold Wintry windy day need food fast.

No need for take out lot cheaper, better for you and cost nothing.

These are cheap eats simple quick and easy and less preparation .

Not a lot of cooking and take little time.

One important aspect of making these recipes is good quality ingredients. If you buy basic and cheap products food going to be rubbish tasteless.

Always check on line bargains galore for stores. Add to that if you very much can afford the best, can be effective in a good diet.

I buy organic fruit and vegetables freeze a lot of it another useful tip.  Either simple sauce or soup.

Buy a lot of vegetables frozen Onions, Spinach bulk buys in Winter look on line super markets always use them.

Others are soup mixes . These are vegetables diced cut and sliced. TESCO sell Veg root packs, Leek and Potatoes, Butternut Squash and Sweet Potatoes Chill and Onions.

Understood use these for soup but for Ragu Pasta, sauces and much more stock cubes.

Add in Celery or other veggies diced to tubs freezer.

These are simple recipes hope every one enjoys.

MACKEREL SCRAMBLED EGGS

One pack of Smoked Mackerel skinned flesh removed to a bowl.

Three organic eggs. per person. In to a bowl with touch of milk.

Hot frying pan knob of butter add Eggs allow to set scramble and add flaked fish.

On a low heat warm through.

Serve, bread and butter.

SAUSAGE CHICKPEAS WITH ROASTED RED PEPPERS

You will need good quality Chicken Sausages most supermarkets do there own,.

I used three per person as this is a meal used to reheat microwave next day. 

Jar of Pasta sauce.  I use Napolina . Tomato and Basil..  Might not use all just adjust to your pan.

Jar of Chickpeas drained. Used half for numbers a whole tin.

Jar of Roasted Red Peppers use half diced up. You can empty into a colander drained to a bowl and snip them in, no chopping. .

Stock cube Chicken .

METHOD

Sausages out of skins. diced up.  Just squeeze of skins in to a sauté pan olive oil medium heat.

Diced up in pan with wooden spoon.

Colour a little bit add Jar sauce and stock cube touch of water plus Roasted Red Peppers I use half for me as I make this double for the fridge or freezer. One pot to use when tired.

Add Chickpeas simmer for ten minutes might have adjust timings.  Chickpeas Roasted Peppers jar sauce are all cooked in the manufacturing so need warmed through.

Serve .

CHICKPEA PASTA SOUP

You need root vegetable soup pack.  From supermarket . TESCO sell one with Carrot, Potato, Swede cubed up with Onions and Parsley. Or use another one varied ones available. I often add Celery to this as well.

Tin Tomato Soup.

Stock cube

Tin Chickpeas and Pasta of your choosing I use Macaroni.

METHOD

Root vegetable pack into a pan add Tin soup used Heinz . Stock Cube.  Touch of water simmer.

Use a Pyrex casserole dish for one handful of Pasta salt one teaspoon.  Microwave three minutes.

Easiest way to cook Pasta, if not wishing to use Macaroni use Spaghetti broken up use a tea towel to bang and crush in to soup.

Or even yes I do use tinned Spaghetti useful and it is there.

Simmer gently for ten minutes add drained Pasta and Chickpeas.

Check for texture should be done twenty minutes, have done this in the Slow cooker.

SALMON FUSILLI

Hot smoked Salmon fillets, these are cooked, smoked ready to eat.

Jar of Pasta Sauce.

Fusilli Pasta or use Penne.

Tin Cherry Tomatoes.

Courgettes diced up or use Peppers red Roasted be fine already cooked.

METHOD

Sauce to the pan a portion might not use this all add in Olive oil not a lot..  Add Cherry tomatoes tin used half simmer.

Any vegetables used Courgettes and have used Peppers out of a jar. There are very good Pasta sauces with vegetables in them no problem use them.

Put Pasta in Pyrex Casserole Dish as mentioned before previous recipes.

Drain into sauce add out of pack Salmon flake in gentle stirring.

Careful not to break up.

Serve simple and easy.

Replace Salmon with Prawns Cooked King ones.

Please any one has any questions happy to answer anything recipes, diet or nutrional.

Watch this space more to come.

The one and only @thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Thanks again for your ideas Spiceman , I have made a few of your recipes now and they always makes a lovely dish .
    This might sound a daft question ...but... is there a difference between free range eggs and organic eggs . After eating free range eggs I could not go back to caged hens eggs . Even for baking I now use free range . They are a bit dearer but well worth the difference in price . I used to get my eggs from a local source but due to building new houses all our local sources have 'dried up" ....another thing i never see these days is a double yolk egg . ?
    ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Seanchai   Thank you for kind words.

Much appreciated.  

Free range eggs Chickens are in barns allowed to be permitted to roam free.  Outside occasionally.

Organic are eggs where Chickens are allowed to be roaming outside continually, have access to organic feed and nutrition.

Often barns open to elements can feed outside on pests, grubs so  on.

Prices vary.  I pay £2.60 for ten but buy two packs.

Happy to do that, as it an important part of the diet and also health benefits.

Understand it is up to you but the taste in my opinion far better taste like eggs used to do.

Looking on line a good option.  Caged Birds till out there and  there is the problems.  In food production in this Country. 

Remember the other hidden sides of Eggs used in every day food products.

Need to be outlawed.

@thespiceman  
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for these @thespiceman
    Scope

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Thanks Spiceman ....you set me thinking ( and wondering)  what the difference was ?. One of the local guys told me he sold over a gross of eggs each week , he had six hens so I made a few enquiries as to where he sourced his eggs . He got a gross of eggs eack week at a market ....although ...he never claimed they were free range , just that people assumed his eggs were free range with his half dozen hens running around free.?
    Yep, I agree that it's worth paying that wee bit extra if ye can afford it , free range taste so much better ( even look better in the frying pan my opinion ) .
    Thanks for the info my friend ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.