Use if Motorbility car — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Use if Motorbility car

griff11
griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
My husband has recently been awarded higher rate mobility and is considering getting a mobility car next year. 

Currently he does not have a car as following an accident he sold it as he couldn’t get in and out of it.  At the time of his accident I didn’t have a car as we were considering if we really needed a car each as he also had a motorbike but as I was struggling to get him home from hospital I went and bought a brand new SUV on PCP.  I have just over a year to run on this.  

Even though we share the car and mainly go out together we do take individual journeys so I did not claim the exemption from road tax as I understood it couldn’t  be if I used the car for my personal use.  I ok with this 

We have decided given reliance on car we will now continue to get a new car every 3 years.  My PCP is same as his HRM but on top I pay insurance , servicing tyres so my hubby suggested getting car via Motorbility next time.    
I’m concerned though I won’t be able to use the car myself if I go out for day/evening without him .   Can the car only be used by him ?  If he was say in hospital could I use the car for visiting ?  

Comments

• brujah81
    brujah81 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    Hiya
    The exact wording on the motorability website is this :

The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit.

I hope this helps
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

When you say use the car for yourself to go out in the day/evening, unless this is for the purpose of your husband then there could be issues. My advice would be for your husband to ring motability and ask them the question and they will tell what is and isn't allowed.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Thank you.  My hubby did say if I go out for entertainment purposes on my own and take the car it’s because I need to be able to get back home to him if need be but I think it’s pushing it though it’s true .   If I know my daughter or he has a friend calling around I don’t  take car as it’s a chance to have a drink !!! I’ll get him to ring to see. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.