Foot and ankle pain and swelling — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Foot and ankle pain and swelling

Options
jolew
jolew Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
I have been looking at electric foot massagers and vibrators. Has anyone used something like that and did it help with pain and swelling?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @jolew Hello and welcome to the community, I am a community champion here at scope. I haven't used one myself but I did purchase one for my mum for Christmas, it was purchased for pain and swelling just to help her relax and improve circulation. I would recommend you speak to your GP if you have problems with pain and swelling and if using a massager would be recommended. We are not medically trained in order to offer any advise, but I know there are warnings not to use these for some conditions
  • jolew
    jolew Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    @janer1967 I do not have a condition that they warn against using one of these devices. I would like to know how successful they are at reducing pain and swelling. I would like advice on what brands(there are so many!), would be best?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ok as I said I cant comment on their effectiveness on pain and swelling. Hopefully other members will be able to share their experience with you . I agree there are lots on the market and some are very expensive 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jolew - In the initial stages of pain & swelling, cold compresses or ice (frozen peas in a bag which is then wrapped in a small towel) may help. Also, try & lie down & elevate your leg in a supported position, so your foot is higher than your heart. Then try pulling your foot up, which helps the muscle pump in your calves, then relax your foot. Repeat.
    Sorry, I don't know about electric massagers, but the above is what I used to teach as a physio, & have since used myself. If symptoms persist, then see your GP.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jolew, how is your foot and ankle at the moment?
    Scope

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    A warm welcome to the community @jolew  I’m Emma, one of the Community Champions. Have you had any luck with your search? I’m happy to help if you need anything else or have any questions.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.