Foot and ankle pain and swelling — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Foot and ankle pain and swelling

jolew
jolew Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
I have been looking at electric foot massagers and vibrators. Has anyone used something like that and did it help with pain and swelling?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @jolew Hello and welcome to the community, I am a community champion here at scope. I haven't used one myself but I did purchase one for my mum for Christmas, it was purchased for pain and swelling just to help her relax and improve circulation. I would recommend you speak to your GP if you have problems with pain and swelling and if using a massager would be recommended. We are not medically trained in order to offer any advise, but I know there are warnings not to use these for some conditions
  • jolew
    jolew Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    @janer1967 I do not have a condition that they warn against using one of these devices. I would like to know how successful they are at reducing pain and swelling. I would like advice on what brands(there are so many!), would be best?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Ok as I said I cant comment on their effectiveness on pain and swelling. Hopefully other members will be able to share their experience with you . I agree there are lots on the market and some are very expensive 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jolew - In the initial stages of pain & swelling, cold compresses or ice (frozen peas in a bag which is then wrapped in a small towel) may help. Also, try & lie down & elevate your leg in a supported position, so your foot is higher than your heart. Then try pulling your foot up, which helps the muscle pump in your calves, then relax your foot. Repeat.
    Sorry, I don't know about electric massagers, but the above is what I used to teach as a physio, & have since used myself. If symptoms persist, then see your GP.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jolew, how is your foot and ankle at the moment?
    Scope

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    A warm welcome to the community @jolew  I’m Emma, one of the Community Champions. Have you had any luck with your search? I’m happy to help if you need anything else or have any questions.

Brightness