left work due to hearing loss — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

left work due to hearing loss

antc Member Posts: 41 Connected
hi.. ive ive  hard of hearing since birth and am now 45. ive worked for 29 years and left my job in October last year due to struggling with hearing loss since my earings gotten worse. i also get vertigo and dizziness. ive got an ent appointment in the coming months which the doctor said could be menieres disease. ive ive not claimed anything yet and living on own savings which are running out. what benefit Would be the best for me.. 


  • Brightsidebecs
    Brightsidebecs Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Hi sorry to here that you are having these issues must be a very distressing time for you. 

    I’m here to help I’m one of the community champions here. This government website will be a good place to start. https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/disability

    You may be entitled to PIP personal independent payment it used to be called DLA disability living Allowance 

    ESA employment support allowance 

    Etc There is a lot of information on the scope website. 

    If you need anymore help or guidance please let me know and I’ll be happy to assist you. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,416 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    New style ESA which you will need a fit note from your GP and your SSP1 form, which i assumed you claimed before finishing work as your employer should have paid you this for 28 weeks. This isn't means tested and can be backdated for 3 months but the fit note will also need to be backdated too. This pays just £73.10 per week for 365 days unless you're placed into the higher group (support group) and then it's paid for as long as you remain in that group. See link https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance

    Council tax reduction can be claimed from your local council.

    You don't give any other information such as living with partner that works, dependent children etc. Universal Credit is also an option if you need help to pay your rent but as this is a means tested benefit then claiming this will depend on your circumstances. The New style ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement. I'd advise you to use a benefits calculator to see what you maybe entitled to from this. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ or visit an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.

    PIP isn't means tested but it's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Evidence will be needed to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this. The onus is on you to make sure it's sent. A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them. A successful claim could take several months, maybe longer.

    Hope this helps.

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,106 Disability Gamechanger
    @antc Hello and welcome to the community, its great to see new members on here, I wont give you any more advice as I see you have been given lots and don't want to overload. Once you have digested this if you have any questions then please just ask
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @antc, is there anything else we can do to help?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.