Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Contribution based ESA has ended

Hi , i have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since the age of 17 , had to give up work at age 28 , now 60 years old . I was on old style Incapacity Benefit until they changed it to ESA  and was in Support Group . I was called in for an assessment and was taken out of the Support Group and put into WRAG  , i appealed but was turned down and at the time  was too depressed and couldn't deal with going to tribunal so after a year it has now ended and as my husband has a pension i'm not entitled to Income Related ESA . Nothing has changed and i'm still not fit for work and never will be , can i claim any other benefit ? I've just been awarded PI'P Standard rate for both . Thank you in advance x


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    The only other benefit that is possible to claim is Universal Credit and this is means tested too, so your husbands pension will reduce the amount you're entitled to £1 for £1 because you'll have to claim as a couple. Using a benefits calculator may help you know if you're entitled to anything.

    If you're claiming housing benefit then claiming Universal credit will mean your housing benefit will continue for 2 weeks and then transfer to UC.

    If you're unable to use a benefits calculator then i'd advise you to visit an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.

    Or you can put in a change of circumstances for a worsening of condition for your existing ESA claim to try to get back into the Support Group. Your ESA claim will still be open for NI Contributions only.

    Hope this helps.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • catseyesddcatseyesdd Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thank you for all the info , very helpful 

  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,236 Disability Gamechanger
    @catseyesdd Hello and welcome to the community. I am pleased to see your enquiry has been answered, I wish you luck in hopefully claiming a different benefit 
Sign in or join us to comment.