Contribution based ESA has ended — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Contribution based ESA has ended

Options
catseyesdd
catseyesdd Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi , i have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since the age of 17 , had to give up work at age 28 , now 60 years old . I was on old style Incapacity Benefit until they changed it to ESA  and was in Support Group . I was called in for an assessment and was taken out of the Support Group and put into WRAG  , i appealed but was turned down and at the time  was too depressed and couldn't deal with going to tribunal so after a year it has now ended and as my husband has a pension i'm not entitled to Income Related ESA . Nothing has changed and i'm still not fit for work and never will be , can i claim any other benefit ? I've just been awarded PI'P Standard rate for both . Thank you in advance x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

The only other benefit that is possible to claim is Universal Credit and this is means tested too, so your husbands pension will reduce the amount you're entitled to £1 for £1 because you'll have to claim as a couple. Using a benefits calculator may help you know if you're entitled to anything.

If you're claiming housing benefit then claiming Universal credit will mean your housing benefit will continue for 2 weeks and then transfer to UC.

If you're unable to use a benefits calculator then i'd advise you to visit an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.

Or you can put in a change of circumstances for a worsening of condition for your existing ESA claim to try to get back into the Support Group. Your ESA claim will still be open for NI Contributions only.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • catseyesdd
    catseyesdd Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for all the info , very helpful 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @catseyesdd Hello and welcome to the community. I am pleased to see your enquiry has been answered, I wish you luck in hopefully claiming a different benefit 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.