Worried I'll be found fit for work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried I'll be found fit for work

Formidible
Formidible Community member Posts: 24 Connected
edited February 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone. I am suffering with depression and anxiety and have not worked for nine months now. I recently went for a DWP capability assessment - fortunately someone accompanied me there. However I am worried that they will find me fit for work without any support. I'm really struggling at the moment, and trying to manage on Universal Credit. Is anyone in a similar position or have been through this? Am I worrying unnecessarily? Thanks. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Lots of people claim limited capability for work under UC and lots of people are successfully given either LCW or LCWRA.

As you have attended the work capability assessment wait a week and ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you (providing you live in the UK) when you receive this report it will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Take note of the LCW and LCWRA recommendations that will be in there.

If you're found to have LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim.

Once a decision's been made the letter will be uploaded onto your journal but there's no timescales for the waiting times for decisions. Hopefully not too long. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Formidible
    Thanks Poppy. I will ring and ask for a copy of the report next week. I presume its the same number as on the appointment letter? 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Formidible   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions .  We guide, advise and help members of our Community.

Please may I suggest contact the following mental health charities.

All offer floating support, benefit advice, information.  Would help here be supportive and offer a lot .

Well being, health and meds anything else. Employment situations supported , worth looking at.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Might not be in all areas, you can self refer or speak to your GP.

I have mental health myself used all three . 

Please if I can help or advise with anything. Do advise the community please ask me.

Have wealth of knowledge and expertise thirty years on going.

Especially diet and nutrition small changes help.

Glad to help.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Formidible
    Thanks Spiceman. Advice is greatly appreciate . I will keep posting in future and ask for more help if needed. I'm so glad I found this site. 
  • poppy123456
    Thanks Poppy. I will ring and ask for a copy of the report next week. I presume its the same number as on the appointment letter? 
    It’s DWP you need to ring and not the health assessment providers.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Formidible
    Ok thanks Poppy. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, I see you have already been given expert advise. I have been through the process and was found fit for work , I was housebound at the time, a full time wheelchair user hjowever this doesn't make any difference if you can self propel.

I took this to MR which gave the same outcome so I went to tribunal and won my casse and was awarded LCWRA, a very long and anxious process but was worth keeping up the fight.

I hope you get the result you are looking for and keep us updated 

• Formidible
    Thanks Joner. 
  • Formidible
    I have today rung both DWP phone numbers I have to ask for a copy of my WCA report. However both numbers say they don't deal with UC claimants (answer message) and I need to go to my online UC account . Is this right? Surely there is a phone number I can ring the DWP on to get a copy of the report? 
  • Formidible
    I have now managed to get the correct number. When I called them the last kept me on hold them told me when the result is known I will receive a notification on my journal. At that point I can then request a copy of the report. This could be a month or more away. Is this right? I was told I could ask for a copy of the report after the DWP receive it? 
  • poppy123456
    It sounds like the assessment report hasn't yet been returned to DWP and they won't send you a copy until it's been returned. If it's not been returned then it's likely it's been sent to audit, if it has then it will delay the decision process because a decision can't be made until it's returned. It's nothing to worry about if it is in audit, it just means that the HCP is being checked.

You can ring the health assessment advisory service and ask them if the report has been returned, they will tell you if it has or not. See link for contact details. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance-esa

Sometimes they will not agree to send it until a decision's been made but it really depends on who you speak to.

Once a decision's been made the letter will be uploaded onto your journal.

• Formidible
    Ok thanks Poppy. I just wish they understood that delays mean increased anxiety for a lot of people , myself included. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. I totally understand the delays but there's really nothing we can do about backlogs. Hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer.
  • Formidible
    Well after another bad day yesterday I've just received the decision from the DWP from my Work Capability Assessment which I attended only last week! They have assessed me as LCWWRA. I am so relieved I can't tell you. Thanks Poppy and others for your support. 
  • poppy123456
    Great news and you're welcome. You will now receive the extra £336 per month but when you'll receive this will depend on when you're assessment periods are and when you first send evidence of limited capability for work. (fit note) This is because there's a 3 month waiting period and the LCWRA is paid on the 4th month of your claim.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I’m sorry yesterday was a bad day @Formidible
    Greats news on the LCWRA decision! 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Formidible That is great news and thank you for sharing this with us. It is always good to see positive results. It was also a very quick result. You can relax now something less to worry about
  • Formidible
    Yes it now gives me some breathing space to make decisions in my best interest going forward without the pressure as you say. 

I claimed UC with fit notes from 6th December so I think I would qualify for the extra money from 6th March. Thanks again. 
  • poppy123456
    As UC is paid 1 month in areas then you will receive the extra money in your April payment.
  • Formidible
    Although I've been awarded LCWRA there is still an appointment scheduled for attending the Jobcentre and my work coach next week. This was arranged a month ago before the outcome of the assessment was known. Do I still have to attend this interview? What should I do? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.