What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

I'm in the Limited Capability for Work bracket are there any other benefits I should apply to?


I'm sorry to ask this question, I had a Work Capability Assessment last december, last week the conclusion is that I'm in the limited capability to work. My mum thinks I should apply for other benefits as the LCW element was abolished?. Should I apply for PIP or ESA? I'm signed off due to Depression and Social Anxiety, I'm physically able, I can walk and move around but it's my mental health which is the issue, I don't socialise, I have no friends, I live a life of a recluse with my mother, I'm 31 and she's 70 so it's an embarrassing arrangement, I only go outside twice a week to go to the gym at 7am to avoid people. Should I ask the doctor to refer me to other medical professionals to give a more accurate insight for my condition as proof?

I'm sorry for coming across "want want want", ultimately being content is more important to me but anything to tie one over helps.


  • RobertAlexanderRobertAlexander Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello all.

    I had a Work Capability Assessment last December and the conclusion I got last week is that I'm in the "Limited Capability for Work" bracket, I'm confused in regards at what that means and whether I should apply for PIP or ESA. Am I entitled to apply for more benefits whilst being on standard Universal Credit rates? I'm also frequenting Pluss which is an organisation which helps people with disability either train for work or get into work, the person who works with me thinks I can do any job and it's making me anxious because I don't think I'm capable and I'm scared to be honest. (Even with the fact I'm limited capable for work)

    My story is an odd one, I have depression and social anxiety, this has been going on for 13 years but I hid it, got my qualifications from college started University in 2012 that was when I didn't go out for a year then had assistance with my studies, I go to the gym at 7am to avoid people, I live a life of a recluse with my mother, I'm 31 and she's 70 so it isn't an arrangement I want, she does everything and it's embarrassing that I don't even have the motivation to do anything, I'm know I'm burdensome, I don't have friends as I pushed them away and family live in Italy. After all the years I claimed Universal Credit in July of last year, had a panic attack on my interview, giving them fit note after fit note.
    I'm from Penryn in Cornwall, Falmouth is the closest place to Penryn from 2012/2019 I didn't even go to Falmouth, I haven't been in Truro since 2012, Redruth since 2010. There is a mix of agoraphobia, social anxiety and depression according to my doctor.

    Should I apply for PIP or ESA? My mother seems to have this notion that I'm "entitled" to apply for more benefits due to my situation which I'm not sure of. I'm aware that LCW's do not get any extra income as of last year unless you've claimed before April 2017. My mother also has mental health issues and I advised her to apply for Attendance Allowance. 

    I apologise for the long drawn out post, it's a very complicated situation and I'm really confused about it all.
    All the best.
  • RobertAlexanderRobertAlexander Member Posts: 2 Listener
    PS I've posted this question twice, apologies.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,951 Scope community team
    Hi @RobertAlexander.
    I've merged your two posts together into one thread, I hope that's okay.

    As you've been placed in the LCW group, there is no extra money for this. They've made the decision that you'd be restricted in work but could undertake work related activities. You could appeal this decision if you think you meet the criteria for LCWRA, which would then add £336 to your claim. 
    LCW/LCWRA are the UC equivalent of income-related ESA. You can apply for ESA separately if you have paid enough national insurance contributions in the last few years but this is deducted £ for £ from your UC.

    PIP may be an option for you, but it goes on care needs rather than diagnosis and evidence will help here. Lots of people with anxiety, depression and social anxiety do successfully claim PIP and LCWRA, but it depends how these conditions affect you. 
    Senior Community Partner

    If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    If you disagree with the decision made for your work capability assessment then you have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you should put this request onto your journal and state why you think you should have been given LCWRA. Before doing this i'd advise you to get some face to face advice to see if you qualify for the LCWRA because if you don't then there's really no point requesting the MR.

    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.