WCA PIP differences — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

WCA PIP differences

ShaunH Member Posts: 28 Connected
Please could someone explain the differences between PIP and WCA

I have been awarded LCWRA but declined pip (awaiting tribunal)

The questions are basically the same on each form and I used my PIP form to help write out my wca forms i used the same evidence as pip except the written letter I done for my MR, it was basically stating what i disagreed with and what i think j should of scored and reasons why.

I am slightly confused how the question are basically the same but the proccesses of both are different.

Could someone help and clear this up as i want to know as much as I possible can while waiting my bundle and tribunal date .



  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, the criteria for claiming the two benefits are totally different and where you scored points in ESA you didn't meet the criteria in relation to the PIP descriptiors. Have you got your PIP assessment report, to see where you need to provide evidence to support your appeal. 
  • ShaunH
    ShaunH Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Hi, thank your for your reply 
    I am aware they are different I have the pip report and im awaiting the report from the WCA I can and will compare them i just wanted to know what are the differences so i can prepare and better understand 
  • ShaunH
    ShaunH Member Posts: 28 Connected
    I only scored 2 point on my PIP. Taking the advice from the assessor but it doesnt mention in the report about muscle wastage, nerve damage, drop foot that is effecting my leg function, also self catherterisation colostomy bag total incontinence of both bowel and bladder which i score 0 points on,

    But that is what im fighting it for because i know ots wrong.

    I just need to know the actual differences are and any other help or information would be greatly appreciated 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,297 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, as advised above they are different I was the opposite I was awarded PIP but found fit for work, which I appealed and eventually won.

    PIP is about how you are affected on a daily basis and the awards are granted to help with additional cost associated with your condition eg having to buy ready meals, special equipment, take taxis or need adapted car, pay for daily care.

    WCA is about your ability to complete any type of work, if you are able to work  are you able to prepare for work.

    I agree the questions and assessment do seem very similar, but they are looking at different criteria as to whether you are eligible.

    I hope your tribunal goes well, prepare by having good look through your bundle and making notes about what you disagree with and why you think you should have scored more points. Appearing in person will also prove beneficial  

  • ShaunH
    ShaunH Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Thank you @janer1967 for clearing that up, 
    As I said in my last message about muscle wastage colostomy all that do you think that would work for both I understand it isn't about my condition its about how it effects me, with the muscle wastage I can't walk very far and when i do my leg gives way without telling, i have really bad pain in legs and back and bladder constant water infections and bag leakage so it's stopping me from going out im anxious about meeting people or going anywhere for all them reason so for me that kind of fits in to both categories.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,297 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry I am no expert on how your conditions affect you only you know this. 
    For appeal try and concentrate on how it affects you with examples of what happened when you tried to do the task. Also keep a diary of your day  and if there is anyone who sees you could write a statement on how you are affected in your day to day. You can then send this off prior to your tribunal .
    Have you been to see anyone like citizens advice about your appeal 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,736 Disability Gamechanger
    Although the questions appear similar, the descriptors are very different for scoring points.  Have you had a look at the PIP descriptors? 


    Just using incontinence as an example, it sounds like you can manage toilet needs but need to use an appliance - so should score 2 points there.  I hope that makes sense.  You need at least 8 points across the daily living parts to receive the standard rate award.

  • ShaunH
    ShaunH Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Hi, thank you for your advice @OverlyAnxious I have looked at the link youve attached and working it out my self i should of scored high for both but thats just me looking at it and what i think its actually getting it across and written down is what i am struggling with. I have been to citizens advice there isn't much more they can do untill i get my "bundle" but DWP have ran over the 28 day timescale so it's a waiting game then j can go back and get more advice. 

    Thank you 
  • ShaunH
    ShaunH Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Does anyone have any good site I can use to help write this letter.?
    I have written a letter stating I think the decision is wrong and why putting my own points in there and what scores I think i should have got, that was for my MR but it may not have been good enough.

    All I would need is help on how to write it I can fill in the gaps with everything, i could write paragraphs on 1 descriptor and then it would be about 50 pages for the 12 question.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,620 Disability Gamechanger
    50 pages is far too much and you really do need to shorten that a lot. You just need 2 or 3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applied to you.

    Keep is relevant and don't tell your life story because you want them to read it, chances are they won't read 50 pages.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.