UC Work allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

UC Work allowance

Redeemed Member Posts: 40 Courageous
Okay so I got found unfit for work and awarded the lcwra element. I found on the internet something called a work allowance. just what does this mean, is it the same as the old permitted earnings on ESA?


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Im not sure of the amounts involved as it depends on if you get housing benefit, but yes work allowance is the amount you can earn before your benefits are affected. But also remember any work you do must not contradict with the reason you have been awarded the LCWRA.

    @poppy123456 will be able to advise you on specifics

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,576 Scope online community team
    Hello @Redeemed.
    As @janer1967 mentioned, it's an amount you can earn before your UC is affected by earnings.
    If you claim help with rent, this amount is £287. If you don't, it's £503. 
    These amounts are set to increase in April 2020 to: £292 and £512.
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • Redeemed
    Redeemed Member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Interesting, I was found unfit for work on mental health grounds so if I were to do something that would either help or have no effect then that would be gravy.
    Thanks for clearing this up.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.