Hi, my name is nickfakdo! — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Hi, my name is nickfakdo!

On Thursday 5th March 2020 I have applied for Carers allowance as my wife suffers with MS. Nothing unusual about this other than Claire was diagnosed in 2005 and she had to finish work. I still worked full time and cared for her.
in 2008 I had a stroke and was medically retired from the NHS in 2009 with Amy pension.
at some point I asked at my local job centre about Carers allowance to help with looking after Claire and was told I would not be entitled as my income was such that I would not qualify. This was around 2011/2012. I accepted this and did nothing more about this until last Thursday I read by chance that a private pension is not and will not affect a claim for Carers allowance, hence I made my claim.
i have asked for it to be backdated to 2012.
we have always struggled financially over the years and to find out by chance that I was given the wrong advice has been most upsetting.
will my claim be recognised or is it just wishful thinking.
i have not worked in any way since 2009 and my wife receives the higher rates of pip including mobility.
i would just like some half decent advice.
 Thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,677 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    Unfortunately, the most it will be backdated is 3 months, they won't backdate it that far i'm afraid. Asking for advice like this at your local Job centre is really not the best place to go to for advice.

    May i ask what other benefits you're both claiming?
  • nickfakdo
    nickfakdo Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi  thank you for your response, I receive the lower care component of pip as a result of my stroke and heart attack.
    my wife in addition to her pip receives incapacity once every 4 weeks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,677 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    You're welcome.

    Lower rate PIP? there's no lower rate for PIP, it's standard and Enhanced.

    Incapacity benefit? Are you sure your wife receives this because it no longer exists and hasn't existed for many years. ESA replaced this and it's a weekly benefit paid every fortnight.
  • nickfakdo
    nickfakdo Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Excuse my lack of understanding and maybe this is why we haven’t pursued CA.
    you are correct my wife receives ESA and I receive the standard pip allowance monthly.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,677 Disability Gamechanger
    It's no problem, the benefit system isn't easy to understand. I can only assume that your wife's ESA is Contributions based because of your Army pension. I'm sorry you were so poorly advised about the carers allowance all those years ago. I'm glad you found out that you could claim it and although you've missed out on several years of money, sadly there's nothing you can do about that now. At least you'll now be claiming it going forward and hopefully it won't be too long before payments start.
  • nickfakdo
    nickfakdo Member Posts: 5 Listener
    thank you very much for your help and I will let you know if and when anything happens.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,073

    Scope community team

    Best of luck with the claim for Carer's Allowance @nickfakdo and I'm sorry you were badly advised. 
    Many years ago I had a similar issue and was incorrectly advised by the Job Centre that I couldn't claim CA as it would be directly taken out of the DLA of the person I cared for. It's awful because so many people take their advice at face-value and can end up missing out on money they are entitled to.
    Community Manager

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • nickfakdo
    nickfakdo Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you for your reply


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.