PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Panorama tomorrow night

anistyanisty Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
edited March 2020 in PIP, DLA and AA
8.30pm bbc 1: " the million pound disability payout"  about the dwp tribunals.  (Looks like more to do with work related benefits so have posted in wrong section.)
Monday, 9th march it is on.

Also i am in scotland. Apologies for confusion if this isnt showing in England

Replies

• cristobalcristobal Member Posts: 966 Disability Gamechanger
    @anisty - Thanks...I believe that if a regional programme you can search for it on iplayer.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,980 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s Panorama. Not regional at all and nothing to do with work-related benefits. It’s an exploration of why DWP keeps losing disability discrimination cases.  
  • anistyanisty Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    Cheers @mikehughescq. It says something in my tv mag about it being related to tribunals carried out where people have been (wrongly) assessed as being fit for work.

So i did that asertion thing again and leapt to the conclusion it wasnt about pip/dla at all and more about work capability assessment tribunals.

Great to know we're at one as a nation with Panorama though (unless we get a change in our schedule and some SNP related thing lol)
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Noticed this in the TV guide last night.  I'll watch it but I'm not a fan of Panorama programmes usually...they seem to twist things to fit their agenda rather than reporting things as they are...but we'll see! :)
    Looks like my tv mag has not given the best description of this programme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51756783

Mike is spot on!
  • bekindalwaysbekindalways Posts: 79 Member
    @anisty

It is really hard at times, for me not to hit out at the injustice of the DWP,.   Yes I have been one of many victims of the DWP. Having been assessed for the first time ever in 2017.  

I did a change of circumstances and yes I chose to ignore the advice of forums and chose to take every comment made, I researched and I went against advice given by people who are unqualified to give it.

Sept 2019 change of circumstances submitted.  December 15 MP Iinvolved. 20 Dec ATOS Home assessment received.10th jan 2020 home assessment completed.  Received the report 7 days later,  awarded 18 points DL and 22 mobility...... from 11 and 10. With an 18 month award.  It has now been  changed fro  18 months to 34 months to 5 years and my second award letter (2 were achieved over the phone) has come back as being reassessed in Jan 2026.

Don't believe everything you hear on here or other websites,  go with your gut and try not to let it take over your life.  Trust me it is too short for even abled bodied people.

Panorama is a tool to highlight what is going on in certain circles, demographics and what is the hip reporting subject of the moment. If you want to see what people have to go through and suffer with this, look at the reports on the Gov website regarding the inquiry into ATOS/CAPITA and MAXIMUS 

I do however hope that you can find a wee bit of peace in the knowledge that whilst my first home assessment, MR and subsequent tribunal was successful my last assessment was honest and credible, the HP understood my illnesses and was truthful.  The DWP have been stagnant and only through the perseverance of my husband have been awarded 5 years ( from 18 then 34 months) 

My updated award notice shows an award length of 6 yrs and four months   more than the 5 yrs the lady suggested when my husband rang up for a mandatory reconsideration on the award length only.

I can honestly only suggest that you start to look out for yourself.  I am testament to going against advice, however well meaning and succeeding on both counts because I don't play to negativity or others agendas. I watch programs such as panorama but I choose to do my own research on what is most relevant to my family and I.

So hey,  don't let the system take over your everyday thoughts and feelings. Be kind to yourself and be strong where you can.

Kindest best wishes 

Xxxxxx

Thanks @bekindalways.  That is a lovely message and i am not deserving of it. Not yet, anyway!

I dont have any disabilities - i am here as my son is currently going through dla to pip transfer.

Fingers crossed though - IF he gets an award, he will have sailed through the process. They didnt call him for face to face.  He got awarded LCWRA group without f2f too so he is one of the ones the system might actually work for.

You are absolutely right that hearing the stories in the media where others have been unjustly treated is causing me some turmoil, no doubt about it. And taking over my thoughts!

But hopefully,  we wont need to wait many more weeks to find out if my son is successfully tranferred over to pip.

This site is definitely helping pass the weeks away :)

I did watch the programme but it didnt relate to our situation so i remained calm and peaceful whilst watching
    edited March 2020
    "I chose to ignore the advice of forums and chose to take every comment made, I researched and I went against advice given by people who are unqualified to give it."

@bekindalways - as far as I know (and I am ready to stand corrected) there aren't any 'qualified' advisers on here...you need to go to a face to face adviser to get that...

I'm certainly not 'qualified' but, having claimed PIP and seen how difficult some claimants find to fill in the form and add some reasonable evidence of how their condition helps them, I try to help. Sadly I'm quite good at filling in forms! Others have different areas on which they are knowledgeable but, as you say, in an unqualified manner.

Obviously, as with any advice, there's a skill in deciding whether the advice sounds reasonable and whether or not to take it.

Best wishes ...
    @anisty thank you for your kind message too.  I hope you are feeling a little better today and that your son gets his award.  I for one will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best wishes to you both. Xxxx
    It is looking positive @bekindalways. See my new post  :)
    @anisty

Amazing news.  Well done. Xxxx :)
    @anisty

I did a change of circumstances and yes I chose to ignore the advice of forums and chose to take every comment made, I researched and I went against advice given by people who are unqualified to give it.

Don't believe everything you hear on here or other websites,  go with your gut and try not to let it take over your life.  Trust me it is too short for even abled bodied people.

Panorama is a tool to highlight what is going on in certain circles, demographics and what is the hip reporting subject of the moment. If you want to see what people have to go through and suffer with this, look at the reports on the Gov website regarding the inquiry into ATOS/CAPITA and MAXIMUS 
    A rather odd post if I may say so in the context of a thread about a Panorama programme about disability discrimination by DWP against their own staff To take your points in turn:

1 - like Facebook, a forum is not the place to seek benefits advice. Situations are too complex and nuanced and people generally too inarticulate in describing their specific circumstances. On the other hand I’ve no idea how one would decide who is qualified to give advice online. Whilst there are qualifications in aspects of advice work they’re minuscule in number and there are no paid jobs available for which they might be a requirement. Is there some reason you didn’t simply seek advice from an advice agency. 

2 - generally speaking if you’re on a forum looking for benefits advice from lay people then it probably has taken over your life and that’s quite natural as if you’re on a fixed income from benefits then benefit decisions are potentially life or death. I think it’s a tad patronising to suggest to people in such circumstances to not let it take over. In many cases there is simply no choice. 

3 - Panorama can’t possibly be about the “hip subject of the moment”. Generally speaking a programme takes months to research and a similar length to pull together. At best it would be whatever was hip approx. last October! I don’t recall EA 10 breaches  by DWP being especially in the news at that point so I’m genuinely bemused by the observation. It was an excellent, direct programme which made a valid comparison between the DWPs treatment of their own disabled staff and the claimants. What’s not to like?

@bekindalways - as far as I know (and I am ready to stand corrected) there aren't any 'qualified' advisers on here...you need to go to a face to face adviser to get that...
    Me and @BenefitsTrainingCo want to see you outside :) though you are of course correct. Nothing beats face to face advice. 
      "Me and @BenefitsTrainingCo want to see you outside  though you are of course correct. Nothing beats face to face advice."

@mikehughescq - you're not likely to see me 'outside' if there's two of you - I'll be long gone...

Please accept my unreserved apology for any damage to reputation I may have inadvertently caused...
    No need to apologise @cristobal. I’ll take my tongue out of my cheek now :)
Sign in or join us to comment.