esa or universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

esa or universal credit

Options
antc
antc Community member Posts: 41 Connected
 i was advised to claim esa so did so. then was told to claim universal credit instesd so now im on uniiversal credit and have first payment end of march i have now received my esa claim sayin they will pay me from 14th of april... i don't know what to do has your not allowed to claim both so would it be better to end the esa and stay on with the universal credit 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm assuming your ESA is New style ESA, which is contributions based. You can claim both ESA and UC at the same time and there's no financial gain to doing this because your New style ESA amount will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC entitlement. The only difference between them is UC is means tested and New style ESA isn't. So, you can claim both.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    edited March 2020
    Options
    One advantage of claiming both is that whereas UC is paid monthly. ESA is fortnightly.
    It can be also an advantage if DWP mess up the UC claim (two income streams). 

If you have housing costs, / children then you do need to claim UC as well as NS ESA. 

Make sure your UC work coach knows about ESA, and that you are placed in the correct UC no work commitments group. 

Edit: Apologies to poppy for following her around the boards. I do keep posting after her posts (and often repeat things).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.