Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

What happens if you need to take your carer on holiday with you?

Rifi7Rifi7 Member Posts: 188 Pioneering
I want to go away while renovations for the adaptions are being done to property as social services have nowhere to put me whilst  these are being done. These renovations are major and involve smashing through two brick walls to widen doorways as well as creating a wet room.  Social services expect me to stay in property but the builder who came to view the job had told me that he couldn’t see how I can stay in flat with major dust due to the works.  Would I have to pay for carer if I go away on holiday whilst these are being done or is there a grant I can apply for?


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 22,214 Disability Gamechanger

    Yes, unfortunately, you would need to pay for the carer to go with you. You would also need to pay the carers wages while you are away. My daughter has a support worker and if she goes away on a short break she has to pay for herself and the carer.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,680 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rifi7, I have always had to pay for my PA to come with me.
    Community Partner

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • Rifi7Rifi7 Member Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Thank you Poppy123456 and Chloe
Sign in or join us to comment.