Am I receiving the Right Money? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Am I receiving the Right Money?

SLM60 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
hi everyone and thank you for the add xx 

Hi everyone, I’m new to this site, can anyone Help please, I’m feeling very confused , how the universal credit works, I’m off work due to a back injury, I’ve been off since July 2019 , I was on SSP UP UNTILL FEB, this year, I don’t think I’m receiving the correct money, I live by myself in a 3 bed property, I’m getting £360 pm paid for housing element  and I’m only receiving £ 220 pm to live on, under universal credit I have to pay  a £135.00 pm shortfall for bedroom tax,, I rent from a housing association. 
I’ve made a claim for pip I’m waiting to hear from them at mo, I’m hoping to return to work, but no I won’t be able to work the hours I once had, before the injury, does this seem right .?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,476 Disability Gamechanger

    Living on your own in a 3 bedroom house means that you are subject to the bedroom tax for the 2 spare bedrooms that you have. This means that your housing element is reduced by 25% because of the spare bedrooms you have. So yes the reduction in your housing element is correct.

    You could apply for a discretionary housing payment from your local council to help with the shortfall of your rent. Claiming this isn't guaranteed and it's only paid for a short period of time and then you can reapply. You need to contact your local council to ask them to send you a form.

    If you are over 25 then your standard allowance should be £317.82 per month, with your housing element on top of that. If you're under 25 then your standard allowance will be £251.77 per month, with housing element on top.

    As you were receiving the SSP then this will have been classed as earnings for UC and will reduce the amount of UC that you're entitled to by 63% if you have no dependent children. Once you receive no earnings during your UC assessment period then your UC will be increased.

    Are you sending in fit notes for the UC limited capability for work process? If you are has your work coach referred you for the work capability assessment yet? If they haven't and you haven't received the work capability assessment form then you need to ask your work coach to refer you for this.

    Hope this helps.

  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @SLM60! Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.