Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Am I receiving the Right Money?

SLM60SLM60 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2020 in Universal Credit
hi everyone and thank you for the add xx 

Hi everyone, I’m new to this site, can anyone Help please, I’m feeling very confused , how the universal credit works, I’m off work due to a back injury, I’ve been off since July 2019 , I was on SSP UP UNTILL FEB, this year, I don’t think I’m receiving the correct money, I live by myself in a 3 bed property, I’m getting £360 pm paid for housing element  and I’m only receiving £ 220 pm to live on, under universal credit I have to pay  a £135.00 pm shortfall for bedroom tax,, I rent from a housing association. 
I’ve made a claim for pip I’m waiting to hear from them at mo, I’m hoping to return to work, but no I won’t be able to work the hours I once had, before the injury, does this seem right .?


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,193 Disability Gamechanger

    Living on your own in a 3 bedroom house means that you are subject to the bedroom tax for the 2 spare bedrooms that you have. This means that your housing element is reduced by 25% because of the spare bedrooms you have. So yes the reduction in your housing element is correct.

    You could apply for a discretionary housing payment from your local council to help with the shortfall of your rent. Claiming this isn't guaranteed and it's only paid for a short period of time and then you can reapply. You need to contact your local council to ask them to send you a form. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

    If you are over 25 then your standard allowance should be £317.82 per month, with your housing element on top of that. If you're under 25 then your standard allowance will be £251.77 per month, with housing element on top.

    As you were receiving the SSP then this will have been classed as earnings for UC and will reduce the amount of UC that you're entitled to by 63% if you have no dependent children. Once you receive no earnings during your UC assessment period then your UC will be increased.

    Are you sending in fit notes for the UC limited capability for work process? If you are has your work coach referred you for the work capability assessment yet? If they haven't and you haven't received the work capability assessment form then you need to ask your work coach to refer you for this.

    Hope this helps.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @SLM60! Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)

Sign in or join us to comment.