PIP claim — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP claim

jackson01 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I had a cut on finger back in October 5 it got infected and I was hospitalised for 4 weeks I lost my job in sewage plant where I was receiving £820 a week wage I claimed pip and went for assessment and was awarded standard amounts on 24th February but was told I lost the firs3 months as it came under rta road traffic accident I have no idea why it was a paper cut nothing whatsoever to do with roads,traffic ect when I claimed I was told to fill form in and send back Asa’s which I did same day as your claim is taken from the date you first claimed to be told no you lose the first three months it seems they are in control of this as they set the dates themselves from the time of claiming and the time if they’re reply which doesn’t make sense as from 5th October 2919 untill I received a payment on24/02/2020 is 4 months I only received universal credit all of the time £111 a fortnight and I used this in and out of hospital bus fares taxi fare and so on


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,409 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

    It’s very difficult to read your post because there’s no punctuation or paragraphs.

    For PIP the requirements are that you must have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months.

    It sounds like to me that when you applied, you didn’t have the condition for those 3 months, so when you were awarded they didn’t backdate it for the full 3 months. 

    For limited capability for work under Universal Credit, if you’re awarded LCWRA there’s a 3 month waiting period. This means that because UC is paid monthly you receive the extra LCWRA in your 4th payment, providing you are awarded LCWRA. 

    I also note that you said you receive £111 every fortnight, is that correct? If so then are you claiming New Style ESA rather than UC? For New Style ESA there’s a 13 week assessment period and then the extra money paid to those placed into the support group is paid from the 14th week of your claim. 
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Posts: 229 Pioneering

    Hi @jackson01 - thank you for sharing your experiences and taking the step to reach out. It sounds like you have had a difficult time.

    We have pages which are grouped under particular subject headings - you may find useful advice here also Disability benefits. Thanks for being part of our Community.

  • jackson01
    jackson01 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Apologies , I was unable to claim esa as I am freelance and didn’t pay enough stamps,and as I explained how on earth can you have any illness for more than three month when it’s them who chose to contact you before the three month period has past insuring that you you can’t have the illness for three months or more ,but actually it was longer according to the dates involved
  • jackson01
    jackson01 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I only got back dated money from January 14th
  • jackson01
    jackson01 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    My incident happened back in October 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,409 Disability Gamechanger
    For PIP, you must have the condition for at least 3 months. If your condition started in October and that's when you claimed then being backdated to January is correct.

    Also, do be aware that hospital stays of more than 28 days your PIP is stopped. The day you go in and come home isn't counted in the 28 days.https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/personal-independence-payment-hospital


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.