Tribunal award and tax credits for a previous year — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal award and tax credits for a previous year

Options
MumPat10
MumPat10 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
It’s late but I’m hoping someone here has been through this and can direct me. 
Son lost PIP at transfer from DLA in March 2018. The tribunal was held in Feb 2020 and he was awarded it back. Contacted tax credits who have backdated from 5th April last year until June when he left college. 
A referral was done to a department within tax credits in Feb but no reply ever came back so tax credit helpline told me we obviously weren’t getting it, they can’t back pay for a closed year (2018-2019) 
Has anyone been through this or had a back payment from a previous year? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,055 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    Options
    HI,

I'm a little confused by your question. First you say your tax credits were backdated from April to June last year when he left college.

Then you say you weren't getting it because they couldn't backdate a closed year?

Did you receive backdated money? and also do you still claim tax credits or has your claim closed now because your son has left full time education?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MumPat10
    Options
    Morning, thank you for your reply and I’ll try and explain at little better. 

In March 2018 my son was transferring from DLA to PIP but awarded 0 points so he went from HRC and HRM to nothing. I did an MR and nothing changed so started the tribunal process. 
    It took until Feb this year for the tribunal to sit and he was awarded the PIP care component. 

At the original time of losing his award, he was attending college and was there until June 19. The award given back at tribunal started from the March 18 when I still would have been getting the disability element (which would have come to an end when he finished college and came off my tax credit claim.) 

I was told my numerous tax credit advisors I would receive back pay and to wait 28 days until they had notification from DWP that the award was made. 

I noticed a very small increase in my tax credits but when I called them they said they could only award it for the period 6th April 2019 until 30 June 2019 because of the year it fell in.
    The year they are saying I can’t get the back date for is the 18/19 year where the disabled element would have been paid had he not have lost his PIP originally. So from March 2018 until April 19...over a year. 

I hope that makes sense and just wanted to know if anyone has had back payments from so long ago. 
  • MumPat10
    Options
    To add, I still do receive tax credits as I have 5 younger children and my wage is in the lower earner bracket. 
    This son has come off the claim as I told them when he finished college straight away. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.