Support at home needed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support at home needed

grantini
grantini Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello 1st post looking for advice I'm on enhanced rate pip and standard rate mobility I live  on the top floor in a block of flats isolated socially this lockdown is state normal for me my problem is  the bins after I manage to get down the stairs I have a 50 metre walk then back up to the top floor aNd I'm ashamed to say at the moment I have a spare room with about 15 bags of rubbish ☹️ so I had seen mention of attendance allowance ? I have no one to help me and thought some service for a once a week visit for help with my mobility needs I would be grateful for any advice thanks

Comments

• Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hi @grantin - i Welcome to the community. We have so many members that will be able to offer advice. You may find some general advice here https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/hiring-pa-for-home-care/ which may start to guide you. You are obviously looking to ongoing support but there are also local community groups that are supporting people with things like shopping and getting medications you can register here to see what is available in your area https://covidmutualaid.org/
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @grantini and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment.  It does sound as though you need some help so I would encourage you to look into the links above which @Abdi_Scope has provided you with, especially the one relating to Covid Mutual Aid as a group there could help you a lot.  Please feel free to speak to us anytime during this difficult period as we are all here to support you and please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  Please stay safe.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @grantini - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. You mention Attendance Allowance, but unfortunately you would not be eligible for that as you are in receipt of PIP.
    The info given above by Abdi I hope is helpful. Another thought I had was contacting your local council, as they do 'assisted waste collections.' They'll not come into your home, but may collect from somewhere just outside as you're unable to get to the bin, & put it out. I doubt they'll take it all at once, probably just enough each time to fill your bin. Just another thought. As Ails says, please let us know how you get on, thank you. :)

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2020
    Hello @grantini   Pleased to meet you .

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear your having some problems lots of the team and members have given a lot of advice.

I wish to add the following links as well.

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk

https://www.redcross.org.uk

Often offer help and support with anything in the community .

Also consider the Local Police Force in your area. I had a note through my door offering help might do this in your area.

Also other information advice if you have certain disabilities or conditions or illness always a relevant organisation for that.

Please if you contact me see how I can advise and see what we can do for you.

Rubbish collection assisted need to fill in a form as you would need evidence to prove you are disabled.

Although some councils may disregard this if they know you are and say so on the forms.

I had no medical evidence requested but had word for word explained my situations. Add to that the refuse lads knew me and the disability I had so did not need any.

Look on your council website, please fill in much as you can.  Would need to set up account on the website.

Please if I can help further please ask.

Happy to be supportive anytime.

Please take care and safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @grantini, sorry to hear you are struggling. I just wanted to check in to see how you were getting on.
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Local councils are helping vulnerable people. Give them a ring or go on line to see what to do.
    Apart from this maybe you could ask for a care assessment from Social Services.

I have carers coming on twice a day as I have advanced MS. I can do very little for myself and hubby does his best, but after 20 years and his RA, he struggles to cope.
    Pollyx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.