Forcing me to re-do academic year? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Forcing me to re-do academic year?

ElChi18
ElChi18 Scope Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited April 2020 in Education
Hey everyone, I'm Elia.
I'm currently in an odd (putting it very mildly) situation with my university. They're trying to force me to redo the year (because of my apparent risk due to my mental health) despite my academics going really well, me having proof that my mental health is being managed well and that their concerns are based on the incorrect information of someone who isn't reliable. A person who they've basically called amazing despite them not being properly registered and has likely committed negligence . Anyways, they've set my conditions for returns, but I've already met/exceeded them (with proof) so I'm at a bit  of a loss but I'm appealing.
Anyways, I hope your well and I would welcome any advice. <3

Comments

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @ElChi18 welcome to the scope online community. I am Tammy one of the volunteer community champions here on the site. It's nice to meet you. I'm sorry that you are experiencing this, your situation doesn't seem very fair, unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but is there anyone in charge at your university that you possibly contact. Can a mental health professional that is involved in your care write a letter to say you're mental health isn't having any negative impact on your learning? Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope you are safe and well with with what's going on in the world at the moment. Stay safe and I hope things improve for you soon.
    Take care. 
    Tammy ❤️
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Elchi18 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I'm sorry I can't answer your query either, Elia. If Tammy's suggestions don't work, you might say they're discriminating against you because of your disability, quoting the Equality Act 2010. Please let us know how you get on; I do hope you can get this sorted. :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @ElChi18. How are you getting on? Have you had any more contact with the university?

@melaniethorley, I was wondering if you'd be able to offer any advice?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ElChi18, really sorry to hear this. I imagine this is so frustrating! 

What is your universities appeal process like?

If possible, I would definitely get in touch with your students union as they should be able to offer support.

Also, if there is someone who can write a supporting statement this could help. It could be a particular lecturer, uni member of staff, disability support or even a health care professional who can do this.

Here is some information about the Disabled Students Helpline:

Telephone: 0330 995 0414

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

email: students@disabilityrightsuk.org

Our advisors can advise and support disabled people who are studying or wish to study at any level on full-time or part-time education or training courses if

• the course is in England and
    • they are over 16

We can advise and support

• disabled students or
    • parents and/or carers of disabled students or
    • professionals working with disabled students

The student helpline is sponsored by the Snowdon Trust.

Calls are free from a landline but mobile providers may make a charge.

We also have a number of useful education related factsheets

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. I really hope you can get this sorted. :)
    Scope

• ElChi18
    @Chloe_Scope @Adrian_Scope @Tammyjane33 @chiarieds
    Hey, thank you all so much for your replies. I'm still appealing against the decision both through the university's system and an external body (which I was allowed to go to once I finished my college's appeal process as I go to a collegiate university) and I should get some updates in the next week (hopefully). The annoying thing with a collegiate university is that there is no clear complaints process.
    I've tried going to specific professionals, but they all said they shouldn't really get involved and when they have given info, the college has ignored it. I've also now been discharged from MH services cause I'm doing alright, but the college is also choosing to ignore that and have said if I don't get evidence of consistent engagement with MH services by October I won't meet their requirements for return to study. This feels like a massive contradiction because MH professionals have assessed me well enough not to need MH services right now, but if I don't continue to use them my college has said I might not be able to return. The college also seems to be under the impression that if you ask to be seen by MH services, you'll definitely be seen :/
    Anyways, I hope you're all alright and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) hearing something goof.
  • melaniethorley
    melaniethorley Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    Apologies for being late to the discussion@ElChi18 but glad to hear things are progressing well. I do not have much to add to the useful comments provided by my colleagues here. Your student Union will have welfare advisors and they deal with this type of situation on a regular basis. You could potentially ask your GP/consultant for a 'Fitness to Work' certificate. I hope you get this sorted soonish but let me know if there is anything I can assist with.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This must be frustrating @ElChi18!! Just wanted to check in to see if you had got any further?
    Scope

• ElChi18
    Sorry for just not replying (i completely forgot).

After 6 months of appeals, I now have another panel (tomorrow) to see if I can return to study, but at least this time there will actually be medical professionals on the panel (which is not perfect but so much better than before). The appeals are almost finished and I've been told my complaint was justified and the recommendations will be confirmed soon. My GP has provided a letter addressing all the uni's concerns and the person assessing my appeal even said it's unreasonable to ask for stuff from a MH service you've been discharged from, and that I shouldn't have been forced to leave in the first place. 

My college at uni will also consider if I can move onto the next year but, even then, there are so many convoluted procedures to go through.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ElChi18

Sounds like it's been a stressful few months but I'm glad you're finally getting somewhere :) 

Let us know how you get on and best of luck with the panel tomorrow!
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ElChi18 - good to hear from you again, Elia. I'm sorry this has all taken so long, but hopefully commonsense will win the day. Try not to forget to let us know how you get on tomorrow. My best wishes. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.