Hello there. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello there.

wildguru
wildguru Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I've just joined. Feeling a bit of an imposter as I  don't have a physical disability but have been suffering from depression and anxiety for many years which has limited the things I am able to do. In the last two years my anxiety has got to the point where I'm unable to make or take phone calls and aps like skype. I'm really noticing how everyone assumes I can just 'get over it' or that it isn't something real that affects me. So often I'm given phone numbers as a way of being able to get help but when I really need help making a phone call is the last thing I can do. Since the lock down all my face to face appointments (MIND, NHS - CBT, private counsellor) have stopped and I've been told they can continue with phone or Skype, neither of which I can do! So I'm feeling very isolated (I live in a bedsit by myself and have no friends really) which is making the depression worse. I know there are so many people suffering right now with far worse health but when I get down (which I'm not at the moment - hence me being able to write!) it can get critical really quickly and I'm scarred that all my pleas for help in the past have either fallen on deaf ears or made things worse. I'm wondering if anyone had any tips on how to communicate it such situations? 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2020
    Hello @wildguru    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Please you are most welcome here. You are part of our community disability does not have to be can be a range of illness mental health and any thing related  Conditions diseases if you a parent of a disabled child carers..

I am my self have mental health and a disability.

Your not an imposter your needs are being assessed and valued need to know that and need to explain if I can.

Sorry to hear this, I do understand have myself some difficulties using phone, SKYPE has been an option for any communications.

Involved with any charity.

You could use TEXT if you feel uncomfortable using phone or Email.

MIND support or the team assisting supporting you should have asked this from them your team..

Please may I suggest you could use that, or used the option of this method I use.

I am partially deaf so used phone hard so write down what I wish to say discuss.  Plus anxiety shakes dry mouth and any symptoms.

Script make one for yourself.

Name details personal who you are and the issues you want to discuss.

Clear precise and simple, can read that then when ringing.

The other one advice SKYPE I got given a laptop by a charity clueless how to use it, a idea is to go on line find instructions to use it.

Make simple notes for reference, keep and then use it.

Please if I can add something else you do need to know about any services from any mental heath is it there for you to recover. Deal with issues and problems.

How deep how problematic hard they may be, you have to come to an agreement with any one to help yourself.

Most charities do this have to, in my long times with many charities.

MIND included if you do not adhere or find it hard to deal with the team who are dealing giving there time for you.

You will be discharged sorry to tell you this but the whole purpose of your care and recovery is to respond and be aware of how to cope.

If they think you are not they will either inform you by letter arrange a meeting.

I do not wish to distress or cause you harm but this is the truth the honesty I need to explain to you.

Having been there so many times said no discharged me so now say yes.

I have add also Mental Health funding from many charities is limited and you need to be aware it does cost money and time to help you recover cope. If you do not then money is wasted and could have spent on some one who is willing to co operate.

Understand the difficulties I am not being harsh or critical just been involved in mental health a long time do know a lot of expertise, knowledge and vast experience.

Hate to see any member lose valuable support that can help them.

Please if I can help with anything please ask me.

Please take care and safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wildguru - Welcome to this friendly & supportive community. I'm sorry to read about your depression & anxiety, which cause a disability just the same as physical problems.
    I hope my friend thespiceman has been able to help you as he has a great understanding of the problems you're facing. Please look around & join in with any discussions, or chat here any time as there's usually someone about.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @wildguru. How are you getting on? 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.