Hi, my name is Recoveringrob! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Recoveringrob!

Recoveringrob
Recoveringrob Community member Posts: 10 Connected
I have always struggled with anxiety and panic attacks. I’m a bit strange because outwardly I appear confident and usually feel confident but sometimes something inside me happens and I can end up having a panic attack where my heart is absolutely racing, I’m struggling to breathe and I can’t speak. It only happens when I am speaking to a group of people and not all the time. Like I say sometimes I can feel confident but I always know it’s lurking in the background. It also can happen when I am on the phone especially if I know people can hear me, but again I can also be very confident on the phone. I really don’t know why it happens and it has always held me back in my life. I though I would join this group to see if there are other people like me and if we can help each other. 

Comments

• mrconspicuous
    mrconspicuous Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Hi Rob welcome to the forums 
  • Recoveringrob
    Thanks Mr Conspicuous. It’s good to be onboard.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Recoveringrob - Welcome to the community. I'm pleased you've joined, as my friend @thespiceman will be able to help & advise about the problems you're facing. I hope you enjoy being here with us all. :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Recoveringrob   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Thank you to my fantastic friend for mentioning me @chiarieds

Sorry to hear that you having panic attacks and lots of anxiety.

The symptoms you describe are known as fear or fight.

Very common in those with anxiety and I can help you here with lots of advice some guidance and information to give you a lot of reassurance.

Fear of fight the stomach chest and throat began in ancient times with wild animals about as we as human defences left open.

We have this today can be frightening and scary.

Known some to phone for ambulance fears heart attack.

They will subside if I can inform.

Please if I can add always something causes it can be past histories events are memory recalling in our psyche our brains have triggers.

Can be dormant for years.

One piece of advice can add is diet and nutritional.  Avoid Caffeine ,Tea, Coffee, Alcohol, energy drinks, Cola, Chocolate.

These are stimulants more you consume the worse your panic attacks.

Eat well balanced diet, fruit vegetables.  Leafy greens whole grains bread Pasta, Rice.

Lean Meat and Fish. Pulses Beans.

Panic attacks often been a problem for me to use a lot of coping methods learnt the following mental health charities.

Looking at relaxation therapies understanding you how they can help you.

I use meditation and calming deep breathing.

Hobbies puzzles music have a selection of CD's and use Classic FM.

One other make a note a diary of when these happen what cause it.

I never had these for a long time then at once triggers flashbacks set it off. Medication helps.

The mental health charities help you with anything like this.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk

https://www.mind.org.uk

https://www.rethink.org

All offer floating support advise on mental health and well being health . Benefits.

Might not be in all areas.  You can self refer or speak to your GP.

Please if you have any questions happy to answer.

Anytime.

Please take care and keep safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, have you ever tried anything like mind training.eg mindfulness or even psychotherapy?

These treatments help calm your thinking and train you to handle difficult situations in a better way.
    Boudsx
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Recoveringrob :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Recoveringrob
    edited April 2020
    Thank you to everyone for all of your wonderful responses and advice. It feels nice to be part of such a warm, kind, caring community. 

Rob x
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Recoveringrob and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I see you have been given very good advice and information from members already so I don't really have anything to add other than to welcome you.  I hope you will find the information helpful anyway and wish you well.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just ask.  I hope you will enjoy your time on the forum.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Recoveringrob
    Hi @spiceman It is very good to meet you too. Thank you so much for the wealth of information you have supplied me with. I will have a look into and let you know how I get on. You are very kind. Thank you again. 
  • Recoveringrob
    Hi @pollyanna1052 it’s lovely to meet you. I’ve tried a bit of mindfulness but mainly I’ve tried a therapy called Autogenic Training. Are you aware of this? I have been to see a psychologist a few times but not tried psychotherapy. How was psychotherapy for you? Rob x
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering

Hi @recoveringrob -  welcome to the community. You will see we are here to offer help and support. We appreciate you sharing your own personal experiences, that will also help other people. Take care

• Recoveringrob
    Thank you @Ails for the warm welcome. It’s nice to meet you too. I’m sure I will enjoy getting involved with the forum and all the best to you too. 
    Rob
  • Recoveringrob
    Hi @Abdi_Scope. Good to meet you and thanks for the message. I really hope that I can help other people through my own experiences. How would you suggest I get more involved? Take care too. 
    Rob
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering

Your very welcome @recoveringrob -  To start with offering your views and experience on the forum is the best way to get involved in the Online Community. There a range of topics  https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/mental-health-issues and forum.

We also have Research panels https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/65526/get-involved-with-scopes-research-panel that could be a starting point or just letting us know your views on a range of subjects in the Coffee Lounge.

@Adrian_Scope + @Richard_Scope and @Chloe_Scope may also have other ideas for you.

• Recoveringrob
    Many thanks for that @Abdi_Scope. I really appreciate it. 
    Take care
    Rob
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Recoveringrob, great to have spoken to you via email. I hope you are finding your way around the community okay. :)

Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.