Weight loss thread - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Weight loss thread

Options
1235»

Comments

• dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    Options
    I eat the same things every day that I have done for years, the same portions at the same time, and my weight has gone from 12st to 17st over the last ten years, the only way that any weight comes off is by starvation,
    One of the wisest things I have come across is that the problem is sugar, and I don't use it but , nearly everything as it including potatoes bread milk and fruit, so there is little chance of calorie counting and of course they say exercise is good for you and it is, but not for reducing the fat load your body carry around with you, I think it all comes down to the metabolism when they invent something to increase this, then we will all be healter 
  • larkintimj
    larkintimj Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Hi all...
    Just an update as its been a while Yesterday I hit 80lb lost since beginning my weight loss journey. 14 st 3 lb approx. Down from 20st 7lb when I first started. I notice some have mentioned autism on the thread, I'm diagnosed as high functioning autistic. In my experience autism can either help or be a detriment to loosing weight, I've experienced both situations. My success this time has been largely down to my fixation with logging what I eat and making sure my intake is balanced so no nutritional area is neglected, almost like a science project. I have approx. 10 lb to hit my own personal target weight and am very much on course, though as is to be expected my loss has slowed down considerably, down to about 1lb a week now. Being a wheel chair user I have been using a passive exercise bike which has helped me from an exercise perspective and am now able to once again mobilise to a small degree using crutches, though it is, I have to admit not a pretty sight to behold (My children tell me its terrifying to watch)... Counting calories etc has helped me a lot though I know it is not beneficial for everyone. To my mind the trick is finding what works for you as an individual and giving it your all (easier said than done I know). 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Hi I have to stick to 1200 I have got meal plans but it’s so difficult to loose weight especially with autism. 
    Why does autism make it harder to lose weight?

I am asking as I have autism and don't find it makes much difference, except perhaps that I can't get out on my own to exercise.

Just for clarity, I'm not doubting you, I am just intrigued as to how the condition has an effect. :)
    It’s because I have always had to watch my weight and I hate seeing people eating what I’m not supposed to have. If I’m out and my friend is getting cake I would have to get the same or if a group of us were all getting pizza o would have to do the same. Also I struggle with the word treat so I presume because it’s a treat I can have it and I have ended up putting weight on that way.
    Thanks for sharing, good luck with your weight loss journey
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    dkb123 said:
    I eat the same things every day that I have done for years, the same portions at the same time, and my weight has gone from 12st to 17st over the last ten years, the only way that any weight comes off is by starvation,
    One of the wisest things I have come across is that the problem is sugar, and I don't use it but , nearly everything as it including potatoes bread milk and fruit, so there is little chance of calorie counting and of course they say exercise is good for you and it is, but not for reducing the fat load your body carry around with you, I think it all comes down to the metabolism when they invent something to increase this, then we will all be healter 
    Interesting to read, thanks for sharing. That’s very odd about your weight if you have been eating the same size portions all the time
  • 66Mustang
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi all...
    Just an update as its been a while Yesterday I hit 80lb lost since beginning my weight loss journey. 14 st 3 lb approx. Down from 20st 7lb when I first started. I notice some have mentioned autism on the thread, I'm diagnosed as high functioning autistic. In my experience autism can either help or be a detriment to loosing weight, I've experienced both situations. My success this time has been largely down to my fixation with logging what I eat and making sure my intake is balanced so no nutritional area is neglected, almost like a science project. I have approx. 10 lb to hit my own personal target weight and am very much on course, though as is to be expected my loss has slowed down considerably, down to about 1lb a week now. Being a wheel chair user I have been using a passive exercise bike which has helped me from an exercise perspective and am now able to once again mobilise to a small degree using crutches, though it is, I have to admit not a pretty sight to behold (My children tell me its terrifying to watch)... Counting calories etc has helped me a lot though I know it is not beneficial for everyone. To my mind the trick is finding what works for you as an individual and giving it your all (easier said than done I know). 
    Well done - that’s some seriously impressive weight loss. Keep it up just the home stretch now.
  • goodmood
    goodmood Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    30 minutes fat burning home workout for beginners.

https://shrinke.me/cpztL
  • MediaPnk
    MediaPnk Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited February 2022
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Anyone here who is trying to lose weight, would like to lose weight, or has succeeded in losing weight?

I am overweight and want to lose about 5 stone. I started eating less 1 month ago. So far I have lost 10 pounds.

Any tips for losing weight are welcome. Especially specific tips for disabled people as it is definitely harder when you can’t get out and exercise whether that is because of psychological reasons or physical reasons.

It is also harder I guess in this so-called “lockdown”, in part because of restrictions on going out but also because when boredom sets in the temptation to eat gets greater  
    are u sure? 
    66Mustang said:
    I’m not fond of porridge sadly,  I wish I was as I love the taste I just don’t like the texture!
    I don't know how anyone can stomach porridge...it's really not appetising! :D 

I wonder if you could make banana flapjack?  Would have the oaty taste of porridge but be much firmer!  Not healthy though I know.

Or banana chips?  Presumably they're just dried out in a low temp oven...  High in sugar though.

• Durhamjaide
    Durhamjaide Scope Member Posts: 428 Courageous
    Options
    I started SlimmingWorld 
  • Durhamjaide
    Durhamjaide Scope Member Posts: 428 Courageous
    Options
  • Geegeenumber1
    Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
    Options

I tried everything but had a gastric sleeve in the end after becoming obese after becoming Immobile and years of bipolar meds. Had it in Turkey. Best few grand ever spent. Well done to everyone that's managing on own it ain't easy. I'm hoping to start exercise in water in next couple weeks as only exercise can do

• Sati8
    Sati8 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Its good you're cutting down food generally. I've tried to lose weight for 30 years but couldn't lose for long. And now I found my answer. I recently brought a short e book called Slender Slim Body. I weren't expecting miracles because I can never shed the fat but after 4 weeks I lost 1/2 stone. I am sooooo happy for first time see me losing all the fat. I'm still having a cake every single day. I feel like fool cause all the books are pointless it really is common sense. 
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    Options
    I have been dieting all my adult life, I've had big weight losses and even bigger gains.. 

This is because I (and all of you) have what's called a 'Metabolic Set Point' it basically means your DNA is hard wired to keep your body within a specific weight range, some people are naturally bigger and some obviously smaller which explains why some of us gain weight easily and some do not (we all have a friend who eats lots but never gains weight right? whereas some of us only have to look at a cake to gain weight?) 
    It makes for very interesting reading and explains why so many people have difficulties with keeping weight off once they have lost it.. 

So best of luck to all of the forum's weight watchers, don't be too hard on yourselves and if you do slip up, keep going because tomorrow is another day.. 👍

• Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    Options
    I forgot to mention the good news - you can change your metabolic set point! 
    By losing weight slowly, most of us want fast results but no, slowly and surely is best.. 👍

In order to reset our set point to a lower level, set point theory proponents recommend 
    going slowly with weight loss goals. A gradual 10 percent step-down weight loss approach with persistent maintenance at each stage can help prepare the body to accept the new lower set point.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.