Mistake by DWP re length of PIP award — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mistake by DWP re length of PIP award

keira
keira Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
A friend of mine just found out that their PIP award is for a fixed period of three years, when the letter they received originally stated that the award was ongoing. They spoke to a Case Manager at PIP who advised that nothing could be done and the fixed period stands as she could do nothing to revise this as she couldn't change someone else's decision. Although she said it was a mistake by them she said all that can be done is that they raise a complaint to a team in Wales. My friend finds this wholly unfair as if they were given the correct info at the time they would have appealed against the length of the award but has now lost all right of appeal due to their mistake and the time that has passed since the award. Can anyone please offer any advice about this? Many thanks.

Comments

• keira
    A friend of mine just found out that their PIP award is for a fixed period of three years, when the letter they received originally stated that the award was ongoing. They spoke to a Case Manager at PIP who advised that nothing could be done and the fixed period stands as she could do nothing to revise this as she couldn't change someone else's decision. Although she said it was a mistake by them she said all that can be done is that they raise a complaint to a team in Wales. My friend finds this wholly unfair as if they were given the correct info at the time they would have appealed against the length of the award but has now lost all right of appeal due to their mistake and the time that has passed since the award. Can anyone please offer any advice about this? Many thanks.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    In my experience ongoing awards for PIP are rare, three years is pretty good, but keep in mind that for a three year award the reassessment process will start after 2.5 years, an ongoing award could be reviewed at any time they chose.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello I agree with @ woodbine, the fact remains your friend receiving the award notification letter and on reading the award length was the able to complain about the mistake or error.. in which case you, they have left It to late but accept the three year award which is a long time as many get 18 months 2 years the most.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @keira - May I ask how your friend found out her PIP award was for 3 years? I ask because you mention that her letter, presumably her decision letter, said she had an ongoing award. Or was this rather a copy of her assessment report? Whilst normally, if you don't agree with a decision letter, you have one month to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration, in some circumstances you're allowed 13 months.
  • keira
    They found out because they received a letter from ESA a couple of days ago which showed that the SDP was getting taken off later in the year. The original decision letter received in 2017 showed that the award was ongoing.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2020
    @keira - Thank you for your reply; that explains things. As your friend has a decision letter saying they have an ongoing PIP award, I would suggest ringing the contact number on their ESA letter, to say that their SDP should not be removed this year because of this. Please let us know how your friend gets on. :)
  • keira
    @chiarieds Thanks for the advice you gave. My friend rang ESA but was told that there was nothing that they could do as they are obliged to follow what PIP has input into the system! Don't know what else to do? Will my friend just have to accept this? It seems very unfair. If anyone can offer any further advice, this would be most welcome. @mikehughescq, can you give any advice? Thank you.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @mikehughescq, thanks for that information and advise, as a MS sufferer I will try that route at my review as my condition will not improve or be cured.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.