disabled parking bays — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disabled parking bays

Options
yapton33
yapton33 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2020 in Transport and travel
how many people have been to shops where people need to queue to get in now because of corona virus I have been to 3 supermarkets that have closed off the disabled bays so that people can queue near the doors does anyone know if this is illegal
Tagged:

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Yapton33,  hello and welcome to the cummunity, unless the car park is owned by the local council then it's private land, it sounds very odd I would contact the store manager or their head office. Your the first to bring this to our attention. My own sainsburys disability car park is a longist walk and if you didn't require the extra space it's closer to park opposite the main entrance. 
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    It would depend on the specific layout. If the nearest alternative space is so far away as to make it significantly more difficult for disabled people then it would be illegal.
    However, discrimination laws are not enforced by any authority whatsoever. All you could do is make a civil court claim.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Morrison south brum dump stuff in the disabled bays.
    Friend parked right outside their doors said waiting for rubbish to be moved. It took 40 mins 
  • yapton33
    Options
    thank you for the replies and the welcome
  • NannySue
    NannySue Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    I went to our local Asda yesterday and half of the disabled parking bays were blocked off with trolleys and it was quite a walk to the end of the queue . 
  • yapton33
    Options
    I went to morrisons today to see if the disabled bays were open yes they were but the queue was right across the middle of each bay
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @yapton33. I just wanted to welcome you to the community and thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'm sorry you've had difficulty using disabled parking bays at various supermarkets. Did you speak to any of the staff there about it?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • yapton33
    Options
    I have 's poker to staff and had email from head office   utj yes zTZhe shop did open the bays up but now the queue is right across the middle of each bay
  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Options
    @yapton33 This issue with blocking disabled bays does sound unfair. I wonder if its a local problem or a more widespread issue? 
    It may be easier to shop at any times designated for vulnerable people, in the hope that it will be quieter without the intrusive queues. 
    :smile:
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.