PIP HELP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP HELP

sarahmaccs
sarahmaccs Community member Posts: 25 Connected
My friends sister is about to have her telephone assessment in one weeks time and she’s worried and asked me to ask you lot ( that’s recently had one). what type of questions do they ask? obviously I no it depends on the persons health problems / mental and physical state ect ..... but she just wants to no. also how long does it last for? same again we get it may take longer for other claimants and there needs are not all the same ect ect. I will pass her the messages on. as you lot are all amazing with your messages and advice! 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarahmaccs - PIP assessments basically go through the info you've put in the 'How Your Disability Affects You' booklet. So they may run through the medical & medication info, clarifying any medical info, or perhaps asking how effective your medication is, etc. They might ask what your typical day is like. They go through all the daily living activities asking what help you need, even if you don't get it, what aids you use, & sometimes if they feel there's an aid you might reasonably be able to use, why you don't use it.
    They'll also ask about the mobility component. For all sections you may also be asked if any activity causes discomfort/pain or fatigue during/after the activity. Also if you can repeat the activity as often as it would be expected a person without a disability might reasonably be expected to be able to do it. If an activity can be done safely, or how long it takes you.
    You might be asked about your good & bad days; how many days in a week/month do you have difficulty with certain activities.
    Your answers should give a couple of examples of why/when you have difficulty, how often this happens, eg every day/ most days or a few days a week; whichever applies. Give as much relevant detail as possible, rather than perhaps agreeing with the assessor saying, 'so you can do this most days,' your answer might be 'no, it's like this 5 days or 6 a week, because when I attempt x I have problems with a, b, c. 'For each activity that is problematic, therefore you need to give detail, & if you can do it 'reliably.'
    You might be asked about your home as in is it a bungalow or house, does it have any adaptations, do you live alone, whether you work, if so what sort of work, do you have a pet, do you go on holiday, if (before the pandemic), you went out socially, can you drive, etc. For example, you might say you live on your own, have difficulty walking, & have a dog. So how do you manage to take your dog for walks?
    An assessment takes on average an hour.
    She should read through the info on her claim form beforehand, if she kept a copy of it. Perhaps make notes to refer to about the main difficulties she wants to get across. Also she could look at the following, which looks at each descriptor & where you might gain points, & describes the 'reliably' concept (can an activity be done safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly, & in a reasonable time period). Also mention if anything causes pain, etc. See: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    She should take her time, ask for any question to be repeated if necessary, & be completely honest. Hope this helps. :)

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    My advice always think carefully before you answer any questions they ask.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• T4na1234
    T4na1234 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi, not sure if this will help and I don't know if my claim has been successful yet but I did have a telephone assessment done last week. I was called the day before and clarified that I would be available at time that had been arranged on letter received a couple of weeks earlier. I was told the lady's name who would call me and also told to make sure my phone was charged fully as the call would last around an hour.  I duly called the next day ( 15 mins early) number withheld. The lady assessor introduced herself. I then answered the normal data protection eg my date of birth etc. She then asked me about myself, what I had problems with eg Showering, Cooking. How I do my banking? ( hubby does mine) as I often get confused. My medication ( which again my darling hubby sorts) . Talked her through how I get a shower, from getting undressed, washing my hair, and also my feet ( which I cant reach) Do I cook my meals? Which I don;t as I don't have access to a kitchen as I use a wheelchair a lot of the time.  Going out ? what do I do socially and what did I use to do.  I try to avoid people as I have PTSD and cry alot ( even before this ruddy corona virus) What aids do I have ? Comode, shower seat, Zimmer,  She asked where I got them from and told her that before I came out of hospital, my family and friends had them waiting for me.  Also had a new wheelchair bought for a birthday present. I explained what had caused me to be like I am ( operation that went wrong) discussed what is being done to help me, I am waiting for Physiotherapy and also waiting to see a Psychologist.  Not sure if my claim will be accepted, never applied for anything like this before, I did initially apply for form in August last year.  I phoned back in November to ask if I would get a form, which I did and was told dont worry claim would start from August as they could see when I had first applied.  I did have a call from PIP on Thursday asking me for my bank details, after making sure they were from DWP and Pip, I gave him my details. 
    I was going to ask on here does this mean that my claim is successful ( I did ask the guy that phoned but he couldnt tell me) So I guess I will have to wait and see.  Well didnt come on here to write anything but if this helps anyone Good Luck.  Not bad for a first post lol xx
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @T4na1234 - Welcome to the community. Thank you for joining & sharing your assessment experience.
    Just to let you know you can ring the PIP enquiry line on 0800 121 4433 & ask for a copy of your assessment report. This should give you an idea as to what you may be awarded as the Decision Maker usually goes along with this report. Look for the dots against each descriptor, then use the following to work out the points https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf :)

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for all your help here @chiarieds and thank you for sharing your experience with us @T4na1234.

Best of luck to your friend's sister @sarahmaccs.

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.