PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Pip income and Council Tax Support

bash99bash99 Member Posts: 11 Listener
edited April 2020 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi, i hope everyone is okay!
I have applied for council tax support, because I am no longer eligible for the single person discount because I have overnight care. I had a letter threw the post saying that I can't recive anything because I have a spare £250 (my motabilty payment) I do not receive this as it goes on the motabilty car. I called up and I explained that I don't have a spare £250 and it goes on the car etc...I was told that it doesn't matter, because its a lease I can cancel it so I can pay the full amount. Over the last year of having a motabilty car it has helped me so much! I have adaptations on the car, and I have alot of hospital appointments so It helps me alot. 
Is this true what I have been told? Do I really need to phone motabilty and tell them I need to cancel? 

Thank you 🙂

Replies

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,941 Scope community team
    Hi @bash99. Council tax reduction is calculated differently by different council authorities. I believe they should disregard disability-related benefits but if you can tell me which local authority you fall under I could look into yours and see what I can find out.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
  • bash99bash99 Member Posts: 11 Listener
    Of course I am with barnsley Council 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,334 Disability Gamechanger
    Overnight care would not necessarily lose you a single person discount. It might mean you get hit with the Bedroom Tax re: any Housing Benefit or UC housing costs. Slightly different. An overnight carer only impacts SPD if your home becomes their sole or main residence. 

The rest of the post is a little garbled but essentially all disability benefits are disregarded for Council Tax Reduction purposes. Motability doesn’t come into play in any form. Again though this may actually be to do with housing costs and BT. You can be exempted from BT if you get PIP DL but not PIP mobility.

A little more clarity on the issue needed.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,941 Scope community team
    Thanks for confirming @mikehughescq
    @bash99, does this clear everything up for you?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
Sign in or join us to comment.