Benefits Advice medical discharge armed forces — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Benefits Advice medical discharge armed forces

md2020 Member Posts: 2 Listener
I am requesting clear and simple advice on what benefits I am able to claim regarding universal credit, employment support allowance and anything related, and an estimation of how much each should be.

I am being medically discharged from the armed forces. I am sure that there are answers to my questions elsewhere but I am not able to sift through hundreds of topics. I have tried the calculator here but it did not work accurately mixing the week/month entitlements.

I am currently getting PIP at standard rate daily living and higher rate mobility. This is the only benefit I am currently claiming.

I am unsure whether I should claim universal credit, ESA, what type of disability premium if any etc. This is extremely confusing and I am looking for a clear answer given my circumstance and PIP decision.

I only have a few weeks left to sort this out and do not want to apply for the wrong benefits

Many thanks


  • md2020
    md2020 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Mike thank you for your advice

    I am still employed by the Armed Forces and my address is still in the barracks. In a few weeks I will be unemployed and homeless so I am currently looking for a place to rent so I would need to apply for housing benefit once I find a place to live.

    Can you please tell me what is SDP?

    As it stands in a few weeks I will be unemployed and made homeless by the Armed Forces.

    This leaves me wondering what I should apply for and if I should apply before or after I have found a new place to live and/or out of the Armed Forces

    Many thanks
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,721 Disability Gamechanger
    @md2020 hi, as you haven't yet left the forces isn't there a welfare officer (or simlar) who could give advice? if not maybe at some point you could approach the RBL or the SSAFA ?
    Having served your country I hope you get all the help you need, good luck.
    Be extra nice to new members.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.