What can I do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What can I do?

faaazz Community member Posts: 2 Listener


  • faaazz
    faaazz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi guys I needed some help and advise ,basically I am 35 year old guy Asian British ,sadly in life have made stupid choices ,and I suffer from drug and alchahol abuse .which has led me to suffer from severe depression , I am mentally messed up.i recently made a application to council on health ground ,and were I live basically I am mentally abused by my dad ,always swearing,cussing me making me feel more depressed .i love my mum,but my dad just messed me up more .anyway the council say that is no reason for housing priority on health ground? but the thing is I suffer from drug addiction ,I am mentally messed up ,depressed ,how is that not a priority ? N living hear is worsen my situation .please can give me advise ,as they said I can appeal the dicision .i can try get a doctors letter ,what other advise would you give me ? Or shall I just go homeless ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,465 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @faaazz - Welcome to the community. I'm very sorry to read about your current difficult situation. I can't help you about your need for re-housing other than to say there are some charities that may be able to help, speaking on your behalf. Due to Covid-19, & whether they are available in your area, I just don't know, but worth a try.
    See: https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk/ which helps those with addiction problems
    Your council probably feel that as you have a home, you're not a priority, but your Dad's abuse should be taken into account, & your mental health. I hope the above links may help,
    Shelter may also possibly be able to help. See: https://england.shelter.org.uk/

  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @faazz and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear about everything you are currently going through as this must be extremely hard for both you and your mum.  I would encourage you to look into the links you have been given above by @chiarieds who can help with your mental health issues and addiction problems.  

    I agree with @chiarieds, that your dad's abuse should be taken into account by the housing authorities.  Maybe your best bet is to get a letter from your GP explaining your problems and how things at home are affecting you.  Do you receive any other support from anyone?  I would certainly not advise you to go homeless, but can understand that things at home for you must be so difficult at times.  

    Here is another organisation called Turning Point who may be able to support you with your mental health and addiction issues -


    I hope you manage to get the support you deserve and I wish you well with everything.  We are here on the Community also should you need us and will always be here to offer help and support so please just chat to us anytime.  There will always be someone here to listen.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @faaazz, how are you doing? 

    Is there anything further we can do to help?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.