Question about assessors — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Question about assessors

Chris_D_Clarke Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Sorry for troubling people with this but really do need to know...are pip assessors allowed to give a false name and to assess people who live close proximity to them 


  • Cressida
    Cressida Member Posts: 976 Connected
    I'd be very surprised if they were. Why would anyone want to do that?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,147 Disability Gamechanger
    If you went to an assessment and the assessor was someone you know then you would be within your rights to ask for another appointment with a different assessor.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected
    I cannot comment on the false name question beyond observing that in some contexts that’s an acceptable practise. It seems unlikely though when their very credibility is built upon you being given their correct name on the report. If you have a name and day job role then you’ve the basis for checking any appropriate registrations although I tend towards the view that it’s a waste of time in anything other than the most extreme examples of poor reporting. 

    However, there’s nothing to prevent a HCP assessing someone in their own neighbourhood to the best of my knowledge other than... 

    Logic says it would not be desirable and the potential for conflict and conflicts of interest would presumably mean both the HCP and the claimant could reasonably object. 
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    Hi @Chris_D_Clarke

    A very warm welcome.

    You should think about ringing the PIP helpline and requesting a copy of the assessment report. Then you will be better informed about the outcome of the. Assessment.

    All HCP professionals have to belong to a Regulatory Body and follow strict codes of conduct.

    They cannot give a false name to anyone, whilst acting in a professional capacity.

    There is no relevance to the distance, the assessor resides to you.

    Please let us know, if we can assist further.

    Best wishes


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.