benefits and moving and Studying at University — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

benefits and moving and Studying at University

Micheles Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, I am wanting to find out information with regards to ESA benefit (income related) and Pip that I receive.  I have been given a place at Uni and am trying to stay on my ESA.  If I rent my own room will I be classed as living on my own in order to get a severe disability premuim, which I believe is more benefical that switching over to Universal Credit. Can you please advise.


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2020
    Hi @Micheles and welcome to the community!

    Being a student can impact your benefits, will you be applying for a maintenance loan via student finance?

    PIP won't be affected. Your ESA will depend on your studies. Are you planning on studying full-time or part time?

    Disability Rights UK has a Students FAQ page which includes benefits.

    Here is a helpline for disabled students which you might find helpful:
    Telephone: 0330 995 0414

    Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

    email: [email protected]

    Our advisors can advise and support disabled people who are studying or wish to study at any level on full-time or part-time education or training courses if
    • the course is in England and
    • they are over 16
    When applying for Student Finance, I also would recommend applying for Disabled Student Allowance. This will be able to provide support and/or equipment which can help you complete your studies.
    What DSAs can pay for

    You can get help with the costs of:
    • specialist equipment, for example a computer if you need one because of your disability
    • non-medical helpers
    • extra travel because of your disability
    • other disability-related costs of studying
    Here is how you would apply for DSA.

    Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)

  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Member Posts: 409 Pioneering
    As I always point out: DSA provides very little actually if you fall outside some pretty narrow parameters, so don;t rely on it for anything other than some bits of kit and maybe some travel.  Non-medical helpers, for example refers only to some very specialised support like lip-speaking or VI help.  It does NOT cover scribes, or other general but essential support for many disabled students.
    My son was on ESA prior to Uni but his student loan was then taken into account so he gets no ESA.  He lives in student halls but his home address is here (different town).  If you move permanently to your place of study it may well be different but it is extremely complicated we have found...!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Micheles, how are you doing? :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.