Council housing & adaptations cause of disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council housing & adaptations cause of disability

Crumbled72 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
Hello all ?

I am hoping to get our shower over a bath to be changed into a walk in-shower due to the issues I have with my mobility. But I have never done this before, so does anyone know what council might want to know before they accept these changes to be done? Do I have to be a recipient to certain benefits or is a letter from my GP enough?
I have tried to find answers online from my councils Web-page but it only tells to contact them, so not going to burden them yet with this in these times.

Thank you for answering ?
All you need is L❤️VE ..and oxygen ?


  • CarolAnn1953
    CarolAnn1953 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Ring your local council and ask to be put through to Occupational Health dept. Or adult Social Services. I've been approved but had to contact them first. I myself have been approved and waiting for a walk in shower. 
    I hope this helped you. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Crumbled72,

    Here is some information:

    Disability grants for home adaptations

    All local authorities have Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) schemes for adaptations that cost over £1,000. Adults and children can be eligible for a DFG, but they are means-tested for adults. A DFG is paid as the work is done or after it is finished. You cannot get one for work that has already started.

    Most local authorities also have a budget to pay for small changes to your home that cost under £1,000. These are not means-tested (based on your savings or income).

    Housing associations manage adaptations in different ways. Ask your housing association what their policy is.

    There are local charities that can pay for some adaptations if you find it hard to get support from your local authority.

    Apply to your local authority (GOV.UK)

    They will send someone to assess you and see what adjustments you might need. They will usually be an occupational therapist (OT).

    Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

    A DFG is means-tested. All local authorities run a DFG scheme. Often, they will use them for adaptations that cost more than £1,000.

    Depending on your income and savings, the grant could cover up to 100% of the cost of adapting your home.

    You can get:

    • up to £30,000 in England
    • up to £36,000 in Wales

    Sometimes local authorities will pay more to meet your needs if it saves them money in the long run.

    Means-testing and ‘household income'

    This will look at your household income and savings over £6,000. Savings includes ISAs and Premium Bonds.

    Savings rules for under 60s, what counts as savings? (EntitledTo)

    If you are receiving another means-tested benefit, the grant will probably cover the whole cost. If you are not, your local authority may ask you to pay for some or all of the cost.

    Local authorities calculate ‘household income’ in different ways. They should not include disability benefits such as Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

    Please do let us know how you get on and if you have any other questions. :)

  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,870 Disability Gamechanger
    Any update OP? 
  • Crumbled72
    Crumbled72 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Any update OP? 
    Nothing yet.. left the whole thing and waiting this whole virus situation to easen up x
    All you need is L❤️VE ..and oxygen ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi y8u can self refer for a needs assessment through the gov website. Its a care needs assessment where the OT will come to you and assess any equipment or adaptions you may need.

    This will start the process and your council will get a copy of the report


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.