Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Why was Carer's Allowance deducted from my Universal Credit?

tif63tif63 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2020 in Universal Credit
I wondered if anyone knows why the car's allowance has been deducted from ym universal credit this month? I have been on UC & CA for over a year and this is the first time it has been taken off. (£291!)  Is it now counted as income? I am still waiting for a response from the UC team

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tif63 I am no expert but my understanding is that CA is deducted from UC however you should get the carers element of universal credit added on so this cancels out the deduction. 

Have you applied for carers element of UC ? but as I said I am no expert so the best would be to speak to the DWP  
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,955

Scope community team

Hello @tif63. Carer's Allowance is an overlapping benefit and has always been deducted from Universal Credit (and legacy benefits). The previous amount deducted should have been £286 but as CA increased in April it's increased to £291.

If you haven't had it deducted previous and were definitely receiving both Universal Credit and Carer's Allowance for the past year, it's likely you're facing quite a hefty overpayment. 

Can I ask, do you receive the carer element of UC?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.