Why was Carer's Allowance deducted from my Universal Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why was Carer's Allowance deducted from my Universal Credit?

tif63
tif63 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
I wondered if anyone knows why the car's allowance has been deducted from ym universal credit this month? I have been on UC & CA for over a year and this is the first time it has been taken off. (£291!)  Is it now counted as income? I am still waiting for a response from the UC team

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tif63 I am no expert but my understanding is that CA is deducted from UC however you should get the carers element of universal credit added on so this cancels out the deduction. 

Have you applied for carers element of UC ? but as I said I am no expert so the best would be to speak to the DWP  
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hello @tif63. Carer's Allowance is an overlapping benefit and has always been deducted from Universal Credit (and legacy benefits). The previous amount deducted should have been £286 but as CA increased in April it's increased to £291.

If you haven't had it deducted previous and were definitely receiving both Universal Credit and Carer's Allowance for the past year, it's likely you're facing quite a hefty overpayment. 

Can I ask, do you receive the carer element of UC?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.