Anxious about son's stoma operation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anxious about son's stoma operation

Olliedogzzzz
Olliedogzzzz Community member Posts: 32 Connected
Hi all I'm new to this site my son is having a stoma operation 2nd June I'm feeling very anxious 

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Olliedogzzzz and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so anxious about your son's stoma operation, but can appreciate that this is your son and obviously you are going to feel very worried about him.  I know whenever I have been through surgery in the past that my parents have been very worried about me too so this is completely natural to feel this way.  Have you tried speaking to your son's GP or Consultant to ask some questions about the operation or just to allay your fears somewhat?  They may be used to family members being worried and wanting to know more.  I'm sure your son will have great care whilst in hospital and everything will be fine, but I know that is easy for someone else to say of course.  

I hope you don't mind, but I had a look online and found an organisation called Colostomy UK, who you may want to have a look at and speak to for further information and support regarding your son's operation so here is a link to their website -

http://www.colostomyuk.org/

I hope that they can help you feel less anxious and provide you with some support.  Meantime, I wish your son all the best with his surgery and recovery afterwards.  Please let us know how you are both getting on and if you need any help/support from us then you only just have to ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Olliedogzzzz - & welcome to the community from me too. I'm sorry to read your son needs stoma surgery. Is this an ileostomy or colostomy? My Mum had a colostomy many years ago, & her care was excellent.
    All of my children have had surgery, so I can relate to how stressful it is, & that you're understandably anxious.
    I hope the info, advice, & insight Ails has given help. Please do keep in touch, & let us know how your son's surgery goes. My best wishes to you both. :)
  • Olliedogzzzz
    Hi Ails,and Chiarieds thank you for your kind words I have to tell you that my son is 50 years old it must sound funny but I still worry about him,he is at home with myself and my husband he has been  unwell since 2017 he is having an ileostomy and he suffers from anxiety quite badly.
    thanks for reading my post.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for your kind reply. We worry about our children regardless of their age..... we can't help it, it is what  parents do. My son is the youngest & is 33. I'm sure you can't wait for your son to have his surgery over & done with. This will give him a better way of life, altho with some adjustments, so hopefully this surgery is something positive for him. :)
  • Olliedogzzzz

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.