Invisible impairments
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Fibromyalgia and walking aids, do they help ?

raddersradders Member Posts: 6 Connected
edited August 2020 in Invisible impairments
Good evening.
I was diagnosed almost a year ago with fibro and cfs , since then I have become progressively worse, more so with nighttime pain , restless legs and really bad stiffness in my legs. I work full time (currently on furlough due to covid) . I am unable to take painkillers due to stomach issues , I am on Amatrypaline.  My partner thinks I should see my GP about getting a stick or crutches because when my legs are stiff I stumble a lot and struggle to keep my balance , my question is, would they actually help, and would my gp give me one for fibro stiffness? I would like to say I am keeping fairly active during lockdown, doing short walks when possible and gentle stretching along with some low impact exercise when I'm having a good day,Many thanks 
Tagged:

Replies

• neuromum4neuromum4 Member Posts: 67 Courageous
    Hello there, I would definitely get in touch with the Gp they can refer you to occupational health. They will do an assessment. In the meantime I would say get a stick off ebay so that you can keep a safe as possible.

I have always had fluctuating neurological symptoms. I got a stick from ebay. When I explained to the doctor the problems I was facing OT did an assessment ( they gave me a proper stick right height)

Took some time for the intial  assessment, 5 months (I'm in London). by then I could not walk much,balance issues (many falls and broke coccyx)and was really struggling with everything.

Many adjustments were made to my home ), I got a bathlift, bed rail, stair rail and ramp etc.(waiting for stairlift).

They also referred me to the wheelchair service and other agencies too and I did not know how much help there is. I am now really bad and after an assessment with adult social care,  I am finally getting a carer.

My children do nearly everything for me. I can't tolerate being upright always in pain. I actually have around 33 diagnosis"s 4 are neurological.

Please get the help you need.

Sorry to babble on🙈

Take care.

• raddersradders Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Many thanks for advice, I shall have a chat with the GP x
Sign in or join us to comment.