Help with a PIP claim — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Help with a PIP claim

EleanorMilner Member Posts: 3 Connected
Hi there,

So my name is Elle and I'm new to this community. I am Autistic, suffer from Depression with suicidal tendancies, severe stress and anxiety, Fibromyalgia, and Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD).

I was recently receiving treatment for my BPD through a local organisation and part of that was help with benefit claims etc. While I was with them, I was successfully applying for and receiving PIP and ESA, however the time span on this has now elapsed and my recent attempt to renew was unsuccessful. Nothing about my situation has changed for the better, in fact over now been diagnosed with more problems than I had before (previously didnt have Fibro diagnosis) but my Mandatory Reconsideration, even with a letter trying to explain further was completely unsuccessful and I've gone from receiving the higher rate of PIP to not even being classed as having a single point in their assessment scheme.

Now we are in Lockdown with this whole crisis and my mental health has crashed completely. I'm just at a loss as to what to do now and I'm really struggling with living, especially as my finances are one of the things I really struggle with.

I tried getting help from my local Citizens Advice, and I spoke to the organisation I was with before but they cant help me without me being readmitted onto the course (which isnt an option because I've already elapsed the maximum time available). 

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated. This has already caused me a number of breakdowns!



  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,167 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @EleanorMilner and welcome to scope, how are you today? I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through and how its affecting you, as the MR failed then you will have to go to appeal, it would help if you could find someone to help you with this, welfare rights or cab are two possibilities.
    If you need to talk to someone about your thoughts and worries you could phone the samaritans on 116-123.
    Don't hesitate to come back to us here there will always be someone around willing to try and help.
    Take care.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • EleanorMilner
    EleanorMilner Member Posts: 3 Connected
    Hi @woodbine,

    Thank you for the welcome. I am having a very stressful day at the moment, in honesty! I hope you are doing better.

    I have already spoken to CAB to try and get assistance but they have a very long waiting list (like 9-12 months) at the moment so weren't much help. I will have a look into Welfare Rights as I have not heard of them before, so thank you for that pointer. I have been trying to do the paperwork online to go to the tribunal appeal, but it is very difficult to answer everything they want to know.

    What have been the most important parts of other people's experiences with tribunal? I don't have access to much help with all this and unfortunately "functional disabilities" are very difficult to explain and portray so that random people who have never met me but apparently get to judge me (like the Face to Face advisors!) understand why I need the extra help! I don't know if I am not explaining myself well or if it is just willful misunderstanding but the letter I got back about my decision both times was just so far from representative of my conditions that I was shocked.

    Honestly, it's all I can do to keep from having yet another breakdown while I try and sort all this out, but I suppose I have to hold out on hoping!

  • Lou67
    Lou67 Member Posts: 993 Pioneering
    Hi @ EleanorMilner Just want to say hi I’m sorry to hear everything you are going through, I’m waiting on word back from my MR but don’t hold out much hope, I know how stressful it is but we need keep fighting this, stay safe and take care. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.