Applied twice and 0 points — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Applied twice and 0 points

Burt15
Burt15 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I was involved in a serious accident at work 10 years ago I originally applied for DLA and was refused but after tribunal was awarded this up until PIP come in I have applied twice and got 0 points 
I have 48!nuts and bolts in my pelvis holding it together I will need a hip replacement in the future 
I cannot stand or sit for long before I’m in pain, I cannot sleep at night due to the pain, I cannot wash myself from knees downwards cannot put my own shoes and socks on 
I also starting to suffer from anxiety as my stomach has 2 large hernias which have been repaired but popped again through the scar tissues and have been stopped by security guards asking to open my coat as it looks like I have but things in my jacket so now don’t like going out on my own
My consultant who is head of trauma has told me I will never work again and have given PIP this information but to no avail 
I am classed as 55% disabled but don’t know if worth applying again as so much aggro and disappointment 
on my last visit I got feedback saying I was well groomed and tidy my other half would kill me if I didn’t look clean and tidy but how does that stop me getting an award 
advise please 

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Burt15 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thanks for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear about all your health issues and your unsuccessful applications for PIP and yes, being clean and tidy should not bear any relevance as to getting an award.  I can appreciate your stress over this and include some information on PIP which Scope has put together which may help you to make a decision about this -

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

I hope you find the above helpful and please let us know what you decide with this.  If you have any questions or we can be of any help/support then please just say.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • alieshia
    alieshia Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    edited May 2020
    So sorry to hear about your tribunal. Please do not give up! I thoroughly recommend getting professional help to fill the form in if you can.

The PIP scheme is about how your disability affects you day to day not what your actual disability is. 

You have to write your answers in such a way that it shows you meet the very specific criteria of each descriptor.

Have you studied the descriptors and made a personal decision on where you feel you sit with each one?

You have to be extremely specific in how you answer every question. "I cannot walk for long" is open to interpretation so you need to state I can walk for say 1 minute or 30 minutes whatever is appropriate for you. Mention how far you will get in this distance so if you can walk for 5 minutes but only take 5 steps this is significant because the average person can walk 500m in this time. You need to state any symptoms you would get such as pain, dizziness, or shortness of breath. Are there any safety concerns such as falls? What would happen if you fell? what has happened in the past if you fell? If you walked x distance could you repeat it? Just because you can do it as a one-off doesn't mean you can repeatedly walk 5m/100m without it causing you health issues. 

The 4 keywords to remember are repeatedly, reliably, safely and timely manner. The latter being there are considered certain time frames for getting the criteria completed. If you can walk 100m but it would take you 30 minutes to do so that is not timely.

With regard to being tidy and well presented, this should only matter when the opposite is true because it shows signs of mental health problems or neglect. You need to counteract this claim with why you are able to be so. Eg your partner helps you or because you get so much support in regards to a level access shower etc you can manage without these provisions you wouldn't be in the same situation. 

I hope this helps somewhat? I've tried to give a broad overview of how the PIP application form is assessed. If you have any questions please let me know and I'll try and point you in the right direction. You can tag me with @ followed by my name Alieshia. 

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, have you read and understand the criteria for claiming pip, reading the descriptors and how your disability, diagnosis or illnesses affect you in your abilities in preforming each of the descriptors is how you are assed and awarded points, taking a self test of the pip descriptors and being honest with yourself about your abilities and capabilities in preforming or attempting the descriptors as should you reapply and answers submitted in your application form will have to be justified at your assessment. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Burt15 Welcome to the community its great to have you on baord. I wont add to the excellent advice you have already been given I just wanted to welcome you to this very friendly and supportive community

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.