If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
feel terrible even asking compared to others suffering...but am not sure what do!
i don't know where else to turn now...so i hopee you do not mind me asking advice from you all in such a critical time.
I am 29yr old female & have ADHD & Dyspraxia (mild-moderate). I did not study at Uni, just did A-levels (albeit terribly), left school to work.
however, last yr i decided to just go for it with what i wanted to do in life always, what did i have to lose kind of thing & applied for drama/music school (FDS accredited CDMT recognised), & I actually GOT IN! (the odd's of getting into an FDS school statistically are more difficult than Oxbridge!), i just couldnt believe it because teachers at school made me feel worthless and would more or less tell me i will be a failure all my life and treated me like circus clown.
I am Due to start this coming Sept 2020...BUT..with COVID '19 it has changed my circumstances financially like it has a lot of people of course! i am due to pay the full course fee in 6 weeks time and i havee about half the fees saved up! the total fees are £12k. i agreed that i would pay in full when i got offered place at end of 2019 before all this covid stuff happened and had planned myself a budget timeline.
MY QUESTION IS: i am hoping you might know of some kind of tax refund/relief/break or something income related i can get back? so it can help me pay for my course so i cn actually go in September as right now..it is looking tough.
FYI - am definitely NOT asking for where i can get a grant or somethnig as i know right now i am not even remotely as important as othewr people wwho truly need that help so want you to all know that as i would never even try to take that away from them
- i have always worked so contributed well into PAYE.
- i will be a first time full-time mature student with a learning disability & plan to apply for DSA (i just learnt of it recently so rang them to enquire and they said sincce i have adult NHS diagnosis i am likely a candidate). i realise they dont support funding but give equipment etc. every little helps!).
- i have been furloughed and getting much less than i thought! i am getting 700 a month and i pay rent as my dad needs as he lost his job a few yrs ago and never managed to get back on his feet. he is kindly keeping money aside so i dont have to pay him rent when i study.
- i was planning on saving 3k over summer before the covid hit as i had job 7 days a week and was possible. my uncle was lending me the rest but cant now and told me last week, also because of uncertainty which i totally understand as he has young kids!
- student loan not possible for my course: Although it is HE level 5 but as it is not a BA (but can become a BA afterwards apparently with add-on module), student loan not possible.
- I am considered a mature student and not dependent on parents etc. therefore do not qualify for the maintenance type loans etc.
- cant get a psnl loan from bank because am furloughed and was temping only at the time not in perm role so only have the really dodgy independent type lenders who are borderline dodgy and i definitely wont go down that root.
Last resort i will need to talk to the school and request payment plan but just scared about delaying the same inevitable situation as i will only be able to work weekends if i am lucky enough to even get my weekend job now with covid implications!
PS. i don't qualify for universal credit type things sadly. absolutely nothing i qualify for welfare benefits wise, unfortunately.
Thank you in advance for any help offered!