Bank account query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Bank account query

starbuck Member Posts: 163 Courageous
When my daughter first applied for esa she was having trouble getting a bank account as she didn't have any id. 
When I asked the dwp what to do they said I could pay it into my own account as long as my daughter was happy with that. 
Since then she's managed to open an account but we've never got round to changing her payment details as neither of us like contacting the dwp. 
Is it ok for her payments to keep going into my account for the forseeable future? I just transfer the money as soon as it hits my account. Or should we get it moved over? 


  • Rhodie72
    Rhodie72 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    For her own benefit, get it switched over. I would highly reccommend a Starling or Monzo bank accounts for both of you in the process as they are so useful and easy to use. They aslo have features other commercila banks (high street bankls) lack.

    The change is easy and it will allow her to create a credit record of her own for the future which shes not getting access to now.
    Dream big, plan well, achieve goals, live the dream.

  • starbuck
    starbuck Member Posts: 163 Courageous
    She's got her own bank account now so it would just be a matter of changing the details. Can it be done by post or would we have to ring them?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,410 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I would advise it is changed over to your daughters account so it is separate and gives her some financial independence and accountability

    The PIP award letter gives details of how to make any changes it can be done by phone or by lertter
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes perfectly ok to do it by letter, give them the name and address of bank, sort code and account number.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,457 Disability Gamechanger
    Remember when you change account details there will be a delay or no payment into your account while the changes are applied, your daughter won’t loose out but she could be short of cash while the change over takes place.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.