Universal credit/self employed help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Universal credit/self employed help

gogglebox Member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi there everyone, my brother would like some help/advice regarding universal credit. He is self employed and out of work due to coronavirus and recently recieved self employed grant and applied for universal credit. On his universal credit payday he recieved £0 due to his earnings being over the theshold.

As he is still out of work and likely to be out of work until after August, will he still be able to recieve the self employed grant in august? Or will he have to sign off to recieve the grant, as he is likely to get more money from the grant in august than universal credit payments. Or as he has signed on universal credit is he now not entitled to the next grant in august.

Could anyone please give some advice, that would be great.



  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,578 Scope online community team
    Hello @googlebox. Without knowing all of his personal details it's difficult to calculate what he'd be entitled to but I can give you some general information which should help.
    The self-employment grant is treated as income in the assessment period that it's received. So between now and August, if he has no earned income (and no 'surplus' income) he should continue to receive UC as usual. In August if he receives another self-employment grant, his UC will be reduced/zeroed for the assessment period in which he receives it. 

    I hope that helps but let me know if you have any other questions or there's something that isn't particularly clear.
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.