Universal credit/self employed help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit/self employed help

Options
gogglebox
gogglebox Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi there everyone, my brother would like some help/advice regarding universal credit. He is self employed and out of work due to coronavirus and recently recieved self employed grant and applied for universal credit. On his universal credit payday he recieved £0 due to his earnings being over the theshold.

As he is still out of work and likely to be out of work until after August, will he still be able to recieve the self employed grant in august? Or will he have to sign off to recieve the grant, as he is likely to get more money from the grant in august than universal credit payments. Or as he has signed on universal credit is he now not entitled to the next grant in august.

Could anyone please give some advice, that would be great.

Thankyou

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,939 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @googlebox. Without knowing all of his personal details it's difficult to calculate what he'd be entitled to but I can give you some general information which should help.
    The self-employment grant is treated as income in the assessment period that it's received. So between now and August, if he has no earned income (and no 'surplus' income) he should continue to receive UC as usual. In August if he receives another self-employment grant, his UC will be reduced/zeroed for the assessment period in which he receives it. 

I hope that helps but let me know if you have any other questions or there's something that isn't particularly clear.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.