Carers Week: How are you doing? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Week: How are you doing?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited June 2020 in Coffee lounge

This week, 8th-14th June, is Carers Week. A carer is defined as someone who looking after a family member or friend who has a disability, mental or physical illness or who needs extra help as they grow older.

Being a carer can be a real strain at the best of times, however this is amplified during the global pandemic.

The back of a man and a woman The woman is resting her head on his shoulder

New figures released for Carers Week show an estimated 4.5 million people in the UK have become unpaid carers as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

This is on top of the 9.1 million unpaid carers who were already caring before the outbreak, bringing the total to 13.6 million.

2.7 million women (59%) and 1.8 million men (41%) have started caring for relatives who are older, disabled or living with a physical or mental illness.

Typically, they will have been supporting loved ones from afar, helping with food shopping, collecting medicine, managing finances and providing reassurance and emotional support during the pandemic.
How are you doing? What advice would you give to someone who has just become a carer? What things can you do to look after your wellbeing? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• Chloe_Scope

Caring for my mum taught me how to look after my autistic son – The Telegraph

0ver the past couple of months, whilst everyone has been deeply affected by the pandemic, unpaid carers like myself have been hit particularly hard. Research by Carers UK shows that more than a third of the UK’s estimated 7 million carers have lost support due to closures or reduction of support services. 

Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I think remembering to make time for yourself is really important. Caring for another has the tendency to become an all-consuming task and when it gets too much the first person to get neglected will often be yourself.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    My wife and myself both have disabilities, hers physical and mine neurological, it's very hard when a relationship changes from partner husband or wife, the dynamics of the relationship change, and for the last 22 years we have spent almost all of every day together so we try and give each other some space, but as Adrian rightly says it can become an all consuming task. But we are lucky our love for each other has never faltered and we will have been married 39 years later this year, seventeen happy healthy years and 22 first with my illness then both being ill.
    But despite it all we are happy and always have the attitude that there's always someone worse off.
    One thing I will say about carers in general is that they save the country billions £ and its time that carers allowance was vastly increased.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Jomiranda
    Jomiranda Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Having tough times atm, hubby & I have Worked all through apart from the first 4weeks. Care for our Adult Son aswell & he lives with us whilst we are in Lockdown Hell. 
  • christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
    Not too bad. It rained here tonight. I handed my partner a list and sent him out this afternoon so that he could have a proper break this morning for a while doing the weekly food shop for us and also did some more coursework too online as well. Today I mostly just stayed at home finishing up two courses on future learn. One was on Quakerism and the other one was about sleep. Both equally fascinating. This afternoon I even did a home exercise workout session. Later this week I am going back to work. Looking ahead already. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    A massive thank you to all of the amazing unpaid carers who are out there looking after a relative or friend who is older, has a disability, mental or physical illness or who needs extra help. Where would we be without you, sending you all  my very best wishes and appreciation. I appreciate that at times it must be very difficult but it's important to make time for yourself and as @Adrian_Scope has said at times it can become all to consuming and as a result of this it is often the carer who neglects themselves. I know easier said than done but
    please remember to look after yourself, you are important too! Thank you. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. :)
    Scope

• Jasonwhatulike
    Jasonwhatulike Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Hello - looking to connect with people
  • Chloe_Scope
    Welcome to the community @Jasonwhatulike! How are you doing today? :)
    Scope

• Jasonwhatulike
    Not to bad CHLOE. A mixed day of trying to sort stuff out
  • Adrian_Scope
    Sorry to hear it was mixed @Jasonwhatulike. Did you make any progress in anything at least? :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jasonwhatulike
  • kelly45
    kelly45 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    As a care worker and mother/grandmother ❤
    Plus going through my own disability and son with autism?
    The only and best way to care for any person is to care how you would want to be cared for ? ask yourself this question... Would you be happy with the care you give?
    Only care from your heart and you will be rewarded by the most beautiful feeling from knowing they are happy because you have made them feel that way ❤
    The smile they give you when you are in their presents will dissolve any bad day you thought you were going to have ?
    Caring is the most rewarding job paid or unpaid you will ever experience, I'm not saying it isn't tough as some days are harder than others ?
    There are some excellent virtual training courses for some disabilities available which I highly recommend if you really want to see the world as they do with thier disability ❤
    I hope this helps people struggling x

• Adrian_Scope
    What a wonderful post @kelly45. Thank you. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.