Help me please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help me please

karl
karl Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Good morning can someone help me please I'm severely depressed and it's getting worse I've spoke to my doctors surgery and the senior practitioner rang me we had a chat and I was diagnosed with severe depression brought on by a number of things me losing my job then losing the house it's all been to much I'm so socially   isolated and to scared to go out I'm not eating or sleeping and have lost over 5 stone since Nov 2019.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @karl - I'm sorry to read about your depression & social isolation. I'm unsure if your GP is offering you any support. In case not, or not yet, the following link is one Scope have put together to help people's mental well being at the moment. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/mental-health-and-coronavirus/
    There is other support out there, & these may be worth looking at too: https://www.rethink.org/
    https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk/   check to see if this is in your area.
    You have been through an awful lot so I do hope you can get/find the help you need. There's always someone here to talk to, so please use that as well. Let us know how you're getting on, thank you.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @karl, I'm really sorry to hear you have been having such a hard time at the moment.

Did the doctor offer any support? You can fill out this form on the NHS website and it will show you the support that is available in your area.

Here is some extra info on accessing mental health services.

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• karl
    karl Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    No support from my doctor 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @karl I am sorry to hear about what you are going through and hope the advice given can be of some help. I have also been in a similar situation losing my job, home and leg but I managed to get through with help of friends and family buty it must be tough if you don't have that support.

You could contact the Samaritans or mind

I am sure others on here can offer other advise
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I had a similar situation many years ago and I had to rent somewhere and get benefits. My pride was very hurt when they took away my home and I had two young babies and a partner to look after. Oddly though it all turned out to be a new start, it had to be since all the old stuff had gone, job, house and some of my belongings. After a while I saw myself differently and started to have a different life, I even liked not having the pressure of having to find the mortgage every month. Over the next several years we moved a few times to nice houses we’d never normally have lived in and in areas we’d never normally have gone to. 

It took a long long time for me to get over it and I never thought I would, that’s how much it all hurt, but I did. I made a new life by taking decisions and ignoring my loss as much as possible. I had no medical help at all because I didn’t ask for any, I just healed naturally over a long period of time. There was a new future for me, a new reality that I built myself as we can only do. I can’t say that things have been better than if I’d not lost my house and job etc all I can say is the future was different. 

Knowing better now I’d see a doctor about sleep and weight loss, some of them also have free counselling attached to the surgery which could help. I hope this helps, best wishes @karl

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @karl, sorry to hear you haven't been able to access any support. Is this something you would want to do?

I just want to check in to see how you are getting on. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.